Unresolved nudibranch removal...

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Daniel521, May 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Daniel521

Daniel521 Flamingo Tongue

I posted a picture last night to find out it was a nudibranch, likely responsible for the colony of zoas I lost last week. I have onyl found one in the tank so far but found two clutches of eggs. I've scrapped the eggs off, and dipped all but one of my zoa colonies in coral rx. Is there anything else I can do in prevention?like I said I can't find another but I'm sure that doesn't mean they're gone. My LFS also said they will try and order me some of the good nudibranch's (they said one Kind eats the other). Any thoughts, idea's or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

You did right by dipping them. Any critters would have bailed. Unfortunately the eggs won't so if you missed any clutches they'll hatch. You'll just have to keep a watchful eye out for awhile and remove any more you find.

4. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I think your LFS is full of Hogwash about the "good" nudibranch that will eat the "bad nudibranch. Don't waste your money. Dipping and watching for noobs and eggs is about all you can do.

EDIT: You're a quick little Monkey.

1 person likes this.
  5. Daniel521

Yeh I'm actually thinking about dipping them for the next two Mondays to kill anyone who survived, are zoas the only coral they're gonna attack? And are they gonna hide out in my liverock or just around the zoas?

6. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

They go everywhere.... I often see them climbing up the glass. A little unsettling when you see that at the LFS.

People have had them in their tanks without zoas, so I suspect some eat other corals as well, however they do seem to be more a zoa issue. There could be different species that we can't really tell apart easily and they like different things. I've never had them affect anything other than zoas, though.

7. LeslieH

LeslieH Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Did your LFS say what kind of nudibranch they were going to order? That's the first I've heard of this sort of thing and I'm really curious to know what it is.

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I'd wager it's the kind that's sitting on the colony of zoas that was next to this one.

10. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

I think you'll want to dip the zoas every 3 or 4 days. Whatever the incubation periods of the eggs are. Wait any longer than that and you run the risk of hatchlings reproducing and you're stuck with more eggs.

11. Daniel521

I dipped everyone for the second time this morning, havn't seen anymore since the initial discovery and didn't see any eggs this morning! A slight sense of relief but I'm still crossing my fingers... The green colony is nearly 75% open again so neadless to say I'm feeling a little better. Thanks again for all the advice

12. Daniel521

They said it was a blue and black nudibranch... They didn't have a specific name for me but I'm pretty sure they're full of it.