Now what to do?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by ezz1r, Sep 8, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

Forum:

I think im in a predicament recently I purchased two corals a Hairy mushroom and an Anemone with the hope my clown would host the latter.

Well the clown has decided to host the mushroom instead. My question now what if anything can I do to try and entice her to host the right coral.

E

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Probably not E. There is no predicting a Clown's behavior but it won't hurt the shroom.It will probably cause an explosion of them.:)

P.S. It's the mushroom/coral that hosts the clown.:cool:

DSC reef and Mr. Bill like this.
  4. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

Thats crazy lol but i understand its factual. Just my luck I thought of removing the shroom but I understand there is no guarantee it will ever host the anemone anyway. I guess love is blind even in my little slice of waterworld.

Thanks

E

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

It can also takes, days, weeks, months, etc.
    And, it has to be the right type of nem also.

Give it time, it may happen.

DSC reef, Vinnyboombatz and Mr. Bill like this.
  6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

There is a glimmer of hope--

Clownfish are not inherently immune to anemone stings, that's something that must be acquired. If yours has never been near a nem or has been separated from it's nem for an extended period, it may need to build/rebuild the slime coat necessary to thwart being stung, and is using the mushroom for that purpose. Never any guarantees of course, but I've read of a few cases where a clown took up residence in a coral or even a fake ornament for a few weeks before moving into a new anemone, so it is a possibility.

Good luck! :)

DSC reef, Billme and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  7. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

I have a black nice clown that hosts in some mushrooms. No anemone in the tank. I also have a pair of Darwin that choose not to host in any anemone. I have two bta in the tank. They like their corner of the overflow. I recently put a clay pot in to lay eggs on. Hopefully they will return to laying soon.

8. Click Here!

9. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

Forum: She is so confused......LMAO

Here is the latest update on my CLOWN fish hosting the wrong coral.....LOL you have to see it to believe its crazy! She is trying to feed the shroon shrimp.....awwwweeeee !

Crazy.jpg

Attached Files:

DSC reef likes this.