Now it's my frogspawn, what happened?..-MYSTERY SOLVED!.

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Todd_Sails, Dec 13, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

It's expanding again! Just may have saved it!

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Thanks OFK and everyone else sending good vibes.

I'll probably never figure out what happened, but moving it seemed to help,
    it's now expanding again. It did loose about 2/3 of the tentacles though,
    But I'm happy, I think it's coming back!

[​IMG]

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

It sounds like most likely it wasn't getting enough light. Did you take a PAR reading? My understanding is corals can take a long time to waste away from low light levels. Also, it's possible that the light levels changes, LEDs will loose output over time and bulbs can dim over time etc... Of course could also be a change in flow if you moved a pump or something, but IME, frogspawn may initially dislike changes in flow, but will adapt to pretty much anything except super high flow or direct flow. So, light would be the most likely IMO.

Edit:also BTW is possible if your water "cleaned up" recently, it could have become more reliant on light with less available food... Dunno just brainstorming...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Thanks, but something ate it.
    NOt sure what, never did before, and I have plenty of lps on the bottom, etc. It wasn't light. The part that was left over actually looked pretty good, something ate a bunch- I think you were right Jerry!

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Okay, opportunistic infection due to lack of light/food :) It doesn't really make sense that it is being eaten if there are lots of other LPS in the same location that aren't. Well, maybe being eaten, but I would guess due to microbes, not a fish or worm etc... So, why are some corals/heads infected and others not? Often it is because the corals are weakened.

I had a frogspawn, some hammer coral and duncans do exactly the same thing a while back. Really looked like they were being eaten, kept getting smaller and loosing tentacles.... Took a while to figure it out, but turned out I had a got a bad batch of calibration fluid and my tank was running a bit over 1.04. After lowering the salinity and dipping in iodine the issue was resolved. Tough to tell if it was the salinity or iodine that solved it, but as the salinity was high, likely that was a stressor that helped set the course.

Anyway, I would guess if nothing else is being eaten, it is a stress related event, such as an opportunistic infection. Seeing a reversal after moving it wouldn't be easy to explain via salinity, but something like light or flow could explain it. So, that was a guess...

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Mystery solved!

Tonight, we were entertaining some non reefer guests, and they were admiring my tank- like most of the night!

Anyways, just as they were about to leave and taking a last look,
    one of them noticed my Blue-spotted Watchman Goby eating something.

The remainder of my Frogspawn had fallen of the rock it was on,
    And was being devoured by my Goby! He would rip some polyps off, and spit them out mostly.

It really suprised me to see that!

I quickly grabbed my SS tongs and fished it out, and put it in my small frag rack up and away from the Goby.

Where it had been when it was eaten was only a few inches off the bottom, and that watchman goby rarely goes off the bottom anyways.

So, Jerry was right, it was being eaten- (barbianjay) wins!
    Free frag if you come to my WRS Party Jan. 18th!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I've never heard of a watchman goby eating a coral. They don't have teeth for one. Lots of things eat dead and dying stuff though :p

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

The parts he pullled off weren't dying. The soft polyps/tentales of a frogspawn? I actually olnly saw him rip the tentacles off and then spit them out, not sure if he actually swallowed any.
    But I DID see him rip several off.
    While he did leave it alone for months before that, he definitely was the culprit in the vanishing frogspawn mystery.
    He is very rambunctious and acts like a 'tough guy' when others come around.

12. petro2342

petro2342 Astrea Snail

Woah that's crazy! Would never expect that from a goby.