Nothing but trouble. Help please!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by VicR, Jun 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. VicR

VicR Plankton

I upgraded my tank about two months ago and things have been awful since. First, I got incredibly cloudy water. I quickly discovered (thanks to 3reef) that this was directly caused by the way I carried about the switch. The water cleared up and looked good for a month. No fatalities and everyone seemed happy.

I decided that things seemed stable enough to add another fish so I got a gourami. Immediately, things started going downhill again. The gourami was sluggish within the first 24 hours and within the next 2 days, two of my platys weren't looking so good either. I revisited the LFS to ask for suggestions, only to find out that the tank I'd purchased my gourami from was very sick. All acting the same: hanging out near the bottom of the tank, swimming vertically, clamped fins, etc. No physical signs of disease. I treated for four days with paragaurd, upped the temp, added salt and not only saw no improvements in the gourami or platys, but also lost the gourami. Yesterday, I lost a guppy and today, my water turned slightly cloudy. The sickest of all is my baby platy. Clamped up, thin, and I recently discovered a very small black spot below his eye.

I've got a 30 gal tank. At present, I've only got the dip sticks for water testing and all appears to be in the generally accepted ranges.

2. Click Here!

3. VicR

VicR Plankton

I should also add that they seem to be rubbing against things in the tank. Everything seems to be pointing to parasites yet the paraguard did absolutely nothing.

4. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

you need to do some water changes
    first off do a 50% followed by some smaller water changes
    not sure what paragaurd treats
    you need a parasite or bacterial med (possibly fungal probably not (black spot?))

5. VicR

VicR Plankton

6. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

cause it will hopefully remove 50% of the problem

the smaller ones i dont know like 1 a day?

that looks like it should be an ok med never used it myself though

7. VicR

VicR Plankton

Hmm, OK, I'll give it a shot tonight. Do you have a recommendation for a parasite treatment that I can look for tomorrow?

8. Click Here!

9. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

not really sorry i just have meds for bacteria and fungal infections
    i think your paragaurd should work fine though