Not Uncommon Marine ICH?!

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Aqualung, Jan 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

My Royal Gramma was hiding today, only to come out and feed. I noticed he didn't pop out 1 am this morning for a coral feeding... usually wakes him up. He came out to feed today, in which I fed him garlic soaked food. He ate like usual. He has some white spots on his tail, rubbing, and he seems very irritated. From what I read the best treatment is Pristine water quality, garlic food, and time. Do you concur? (Sorry bout the concur part, just watched "Catch Me if You Can" the other night.)

2. Click Here!

3. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Good water and garlic in the food seems to work well. Catching fish in reef tanks is definitely not easy. I have recently had Ich on one fish and the other healthy fish never got it.

BTW, What the heck are you doing up at 1am feeding your fish >??

4. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

LOL.. I was target feeding my LPS not my fish.. I stay up late, so my lights stay on later. Come on at 11 off at 11.

5. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Grammas are actually VERY hardy and disease/parasite resistant.. If I had to choose any fish to get ick it would be a gramma or a scooter/ mandarin. Feed him well, preferrably with garlic and vitamins, make sure water is pristine and wait, just like you had planned. The three fish you have is kind of a heavy bioload in a 16 gal.....

Good luck aqualung!!

There is also many reef SAFE meds out there!!

6. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Yeah getting a bigger tank in the Summer. That's why I have such a big skimmer. What's a good reef-safe med, if all else fails?

7. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hi, I have used Kick-Ich by Ruby Reef with great success. Also, you may want to look into Marine-Max by Tropical Science which helps the fish fight off and then prevent Ich.

8. Click Here!

9. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Woke up to find Turbellarian(black ick) on my yellow tang Sunday morning. Not a major out break but gave him a 5 minute fresh water dip (after trying to catch him for 45 minutes). Unfortunately I have yet to get a QT tank so back in to my tank he went. Ran to the lfs for some Garlic Xtreme and dosed the tank with 3 drops and game them a feeding of brine and a drop of Garlic Xtreme.

By the end of the day no spots and today he is looking good. I think I caught it early enough so will continue adding the Garlic to food during feedings.

I did learn that Turbellarian is most common for Tangs. I had tangs for years and had never run into it. Of course as soon as I saw it I did a search on 3reef and once again I was able to find what I was looking for. GO 3REEF

10. mlcharlestonsc

mlcharlestonsc Plankton

I had an ick outbreak once in my reef tank. I beat it by removing fish to a QT tank and treated them with copper for 30 days. Having the reef tank lie fallow for the same 30 day period alows all remainig ick and unhached cystes to die off because there are no fish in the reef tank for them to attach to. I have not had ick since and it has been over a year ago. nock on wood.

11. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

I have a friend of mine that used to do that with every new fish. A few minute dip in freshwater. And he never had any issues at all. It allegedly kills off any/everything on the fish. Like ick and parasites. I told this to the LFS guy, and he laughed and said you'll kill the fish.

Well, obviously it worked for my friend!..

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I not only QT'd my fish, when it was time for them to go in the DT, I FW dipped them.