Not sure if to spend money on a reactor.

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Dman, Sep 8, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dman

Dman Astrea Snail

It's a 55. I change it once a week when I'm home. My wife feeds when I'm gone. She only feeds what I tell her to. But I don't ask her to do anything else ( I have my reasons) :).

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I can't comment on the bio pellets. I don't know anything about them. But I suggest pressing for more answers to avoid unexpected consequences especially since your aquarium is unattended for so much of the time.

4. Dman

Dman Astrea Snail

I agree. I always research and get opinions before investing in something. I would probably just start with carbon or phosban and see what those do. That is if I get a reactor. Still not sure if to invest in one.

5. Dman

Dman Astrea Snail

I went ahead and picked up a nextreef MR1. I got Rowaphos and chemipure to put in it.

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

If your phosphates are 0 but you nitrates are high then what you bought is a waste. You bought products to attack your phosphate. Bio pellets are what you need to reduce the nitrate. Unless I read your post wrong I would return the rowa phos

7. Dman

Dman Astrea Snail

Yes I understand that DSC reef. I thought that I didn't need it either. I'm looking into a digital phosphate checker to double check my phosphates. Also from some things I've read, you could have more things such as phosphate but it's not detectable because algae is using it up. Just what I read but makes since. The bio pellets do look like something I would like to try but unfortunately my work can take me from home for a while. I have 1 maybe 2 jobs coming up so I wouldn't be able to monitor the tank like I would want to with trying something new like that. Definitely will consider it if I know I'll be home long enough to monitor the tank. Thanks.

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Kudos to you, being away from home sucks. I used to drive trucks but I gave it up. I couldn't imagine being away from my tanks. Addiction--check. Lol

10. Dman

Dman Astrea Snail

lol I hear ya. I always hope to come home and see good things but unfortunately it doesn't always work out that way.

11. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I think you are correct on the idea that nutrients will measure low while algae or cyano flourishes. It's a tough battle at that point. You can likely limit their growth by choking off their required nutrients (phosphates and nitrates). What I've found is that at the base of either cyano or hair algae, is what appears to be a stockpile of nutrients. If you agitate with a toothbrush you will likely see some of it cloud the water. Personally, (and I can't refer you to anything written on it), I think this is why it's so tough to kill it off. Having a phosphate agent or carbon should help limit its growth (as I said before, I can't speak about bio pellets, though they may be the answer). I've been in a similar situation recently with cyano despite weekly water changes. I just threw in the towel and ran chem clean. Of course that is mainly for cyano but some of the principals are similar.