Not sure if to spend money on a reactor.

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Dman, Sep 8, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dman

Dman Astrea Snail

Ok. Good to know. Thank you

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

All in one bio pellets is what I'm switching too as well. I would look into that as bio pellets and only one reactor might fit your lifestyle better with less maintenance

5. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I would recommend that whatever method you choose, you begin slowly. I'd also recommend that you first adjust parameters with multiple moderate water changes. There are likely other things that that are off that you can't measure and water changes should bring those into line. Then use adjuncts to maintain.​

Dman likes this.
  6. Dman

Dman Astrea Snail

Thanks for responses. One reactor is all I would have room for DSC Reef. So the all in one biopellets do sound good. Billme I didn't mention that I'm doing waterchanges. Problem is I'm only home 2 days a week at the moment. I do a 10% water change then. Thats the most I can do at a time currently with the containers I have. I should have a week at home coming up. Planning to do 10% 3 times that week. It sounded to me that the LFS was saying the reactor could help at the times when I'm gone for so long to keep things from getting as bad. I do agree that water changes are the best way to get them down and thats my main tool i'm going to use to get them down. I was just wondering if it would be worth the money to get a reactor. Will it help enough to justify the exspense and maintenance of it. Any opinions appreciated in advance. Thanks.

7. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

What else do you have for filtration?

8. Click Here!

9. Dman

Dman Astrea Snail

I have an SCA-301 skimmer. I use filter floss and change it frequently. Thats it. I'm getting some cheato this weekend to hopefully help with nitrates as well.

10. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

Take a look at the reef dynamics. I swear by mine.

11. Dman

Dman Astrea Snail

Very interesting video. If you have the money looks like a good way to go, but if on a budget couldn't you just add less of the pellets. I know there would be a little trial and error. But once you found the right amount you should be fine right?

12. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Sounds like you have enough filtration depending on the size of your tank. How often do you change the filter floss? That could be a nitrate factory. I assume someone else is feeding while you are gone? Might want to ask how much they feed. I came home last year after a weeks vacation, and the guy that was feeding way overfed.