Not Sure about this stocking list

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Cantra, Apr 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Cantra

Cantra Plankton

Ok this is the stocking list that the daycare director came up with for our 150 aquarium... is it possible that it'll work?
    6 Koi Swordtails, cherry shrimp, 6 glass catfish, 4 south american leaf fish, 2 siamese algae eaters, 5 silver dollars, and 2 female betta's.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Cantra

Seems OK in general
    but I do have experience with some of these fish that may be of interest
    Silver Dollars tend to eat any live plants you have in the tank with them
    Chinese Algae eaters can attach themselves to the sides of any largish fish and eat the slime coating off them - the silver dollars would present themselves as ideal targets in this scenario (it doesnt always happen, but I have seen it happen with Severums and Keyhole cichlids and Chinese algae eaters)

a plecostomus catfish may be a better option for algae eating duty , but they benefit from some additional food in the form of algae wafers or sinking algae pellets/ discs

Steve

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Steve he stated SIAMESE algae eaters not CHINESE. While you are most definitely right about the chinease algae eaters the siamese algae eaters are the best algae eaters for a tank. They consume all forms of algae and are peaceful to other fish. I have 4 in my 75 planted and they do a wonderful job. Thay have not harmed any of the plants like plecostomus can.

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Thanks 2 in 10
    Yes Siamese it says - I just read it badly

Steve

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I think some are quite confused with those fish anyways. Siamses algae eaters have a solid black body stripe and colorless fins.

7. Cantra

Cantra Plankton

Ok I maybe able to talk the director out of the leaf fish because they are something that could hurt the other fish besides just young ones but I'll need something else in its place... is there anything that you know of that is still interesting looking but not so bad that it could hurt or eat most of the other fish in the tank?
    Also we won't be having any live plants in the tank so I guess the Silver Dollars would be ok? Will they try to mess with the fake plants? Also if there's a better choice that could get about the same size and still be interesting could you please tell me

8. Click Here!

9. Cantra

Cantra Plankton

new stocking list 6 ghost catfish, 2 south american leaf fish, 2 siamese algae eaters, 5 silver dollars, 3 angel fish, 5 cory cats, 5 rainbow fish

10. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

I would research leaf fish, I do believe that they will eat smaller fish.

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I think that would work

12. Cantra

Cantra Plankton

Now she wants some Kuhli Loaches to add to the tank... will you please tell me the kind of care they need and what to expect from them

Also I was wondering how to set up hiding places for the fish... whats the best way since she wants it to look natural but doesn't want real plants, and doesn't want to add anything to the tank that looks as she would put it fake.

she decided that she didn't want to get the silver dollars anymore