Not Quite Sold on LED Lighting

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Mr. Bill, Feb 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I'm more of a halide guy, although, I do like LEDs and T-5s. I'll still give you heat though :p However, at this point, my issues with your statement should be obvious LOL, so, I won't get into the specifics...

Hint: I switched out the ford engine in my car for a Chevy engine. It went faster with the Chevy, so the Chevy must be better...

2. Click Here!

3. TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden 3reef Sponsor

This is some good discussion. Let me throw something else out there for confusion.

LEDs vary wildly even between the same type and color from the same manufacturer. LEDs are sorted into BINs which define their color and intensity.
    So when people compare LEDs say CREE XPG CW to something else, what are they really comparing? When a manufacture states they use CREE XPG CW or RB, which ones do they use? Most of time we don't really know what is being used. The following link show the XPG bins. Refer to page 2 and notice the CW varies between 5000K and 8300K in color and 305 to 348 in intensity at 1A.

www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLampxp_b&l.pdf

1 person likes this.
  4. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

I'll stick with the Chevy since its faster. Maybe when Ford proves it self in the long run ill switch back :D

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

The color loss was on the tank that crashed after the experiment... BOTH sides crashed. The halide and the led. The AI experiment meant nothing due to external system issues. (issues that still aren't resolved with the tank that "Fat Jack" was plumbed in to.)

The color loss he's talking about was from his perception of the pics taken. Mr.saltwatertank never mentioned noticing it. Could very well be the pics rather than the light.

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Haha, well, the 350 may have been faster than the 289, but I think I may try a 427 side-oiler next ;D

7. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Great discussion. This has especially drawn my interest because I am building an LED fixture. I am wondering what the effect will be of switching from 175 watt halides to Cree LEDs. My biggest fear? Destroying every SPS in my tank.

IMHO after watching both videos Mr. Saltwater hits it right on the head. 8 weeks is NOT enough to offer a fair comparison. He also openly admitts there is not the recommended amount of lighting and there were problems with the tank being too clean(corals starving). Not a scientificly controlled comparison.

I am trying not to be bias considering the purchase I just made. I am simply comparing all of the graphs and the information given in the videos and drawing the logical conclusion. I will find out for myself soon enough on color and growth rates. :p

8. Click Here!

9. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

It was worse than that. There was some sort of bacterial imbalance they think and both side crashed. I can't say this enough. His whole tank crashed over the next month. He kept updating in the comments. In fact, the lack of a proper update on "mr.saltwatertank's" part is ridiculous. He left all the important information out about the end results of that guys tank and didn't do justice to AI lighting.

10. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Thank you. Again not a scientificly controlled experiment. From the start of the video I believe he mentions they were having problems with the cube. That alone should make the comparison null. Anybody with any amount of experience in SPS I think will tell you the difference between a parameter or two is the difference between growth and death. Just my thoughts.

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I need a nap after reading that!lol! Nice respectful debate boys! Thanks for the info! I'm switching to led's AGAIN, after seeing my buddies tank on them after 3 months!

Thanks for the info

12. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Cosmo what was the major difference you noticed in your buddies tank and what lights did he run previously?