Not a Fish or Coral Disease but a Human disease called Mycobacterium Marinum

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by DaDaAtlanta, Jun 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Not to take away from the seriousness of these issues, but it's not that easy to get. I once had a wisdom tooth that cracked in half (I'm a dentist scaredy cat) and mouth siphoned a hospital tank twice a day for four months. The fish just kept having issue after issue after issue until finally I had to put them down. I had a necropsy performed and they were absolutely LOADED with myco. I was afraid for a nice bit after that. But I tell ya, I drank more of that water than I'd care to remember.

I still mouth siphon, but I use a tube that is super long so that there is no chance it will reach me with one suck.

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

It's common enough that I know over a dozen people that have contracted it. 3 in my reef club along. I contracted it as well. It's not fun.

4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

ewwww my hands hurt now! seriously... did you read wash your hands. ...so important. i will now be buying the antibacterial soap. just for after my hands were in the tank. i dont believe in it for everyday use...... thanks for reminding me of this.

5. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

:stare::inquisiti wow, well that is very nasty

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

For me when I got it washing my hands would have done no good as 8 - 12 hours a day I was handling MO livestock at the wholesale level :(

7. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

well thats a totally different thing. makes you wonder about anyone who works at a fish store even. they are at risk daily

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

A fish store employee has far less contact then a MO wholesaler in most cases :) I've done both jobs at multiple places. There were days I'd be wet the entire 12 hours. Wholesalers come in a lot more contact with nasty stuff, like mosquitoes flying out of a box packed in the tropics and landing on you and biting you :(

10. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Funny. I swallowed a mouthful not long ago and immediately ralphed. Reading this my gag reflex kicked in unexpectedly.

11. stoney waters

stoney waters Fire Shrimp

damn i mouth siphon every time i start a siphon hopefully i dont get it iv done about 20-30watercheanges like this...yuk!!!! but water really never got in my mouth

12. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

I've always hated the expression about cuts and scratches "saltwater makes it heal faster".

I knew it was bogus just because of all the life present in seawater.

Now I can give them a specific reason to keep that wound dry.