Normal?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by erock38, Dec 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I would try another 750 and see how it does. I have 2 750's and 2 550's in my 46 bow for reference. No sump though, so that is where all of the flow is from.

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Yeah, cyano likes less mineralized forms of nutrients. So, any fish food, poop etc.. settling will feed it. Keeping all the crud in suspension, where it can be skimmed out, or removed mechanically is one of the best ways to deal with cyano.

4. erock38

erock38 Feather Duster

Ok! i will add more flow and get a goby to sift the sand. But i think its dying off.

5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Don't get any sort of goby to help sift sang....They generally don't make much difference and in a tank that small, if you are getting one of the bigger gobies, you will have issues with the goby eventually starving.

6. erock38

erock38 Feather Duster

im getting a diamond watchman.

7. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

It will be fine as long as you can get it to eat prepared foods. Often times, they will not.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I would advise against it. They require a large pod population and those are typically found in larger, more mature tanks with a attached refugium. Even then, it may slowly starve itself. If you do choose to buy one, be prepared to supplement pods (which are expensive) often.

10. erock38

erock38 Feather Duster

what should i get because my snail aren't keeping up. and most of them stay on my glass or rock.

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Just good water management and food management practices with more circulation. Try feeding every other day. I feed one pellet at a time to my 20 gallon tank to avoid over feeding.

12. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

For the general knowledge, nothing you can get will actually eat cyano. Snails will graze on your algae, hermits and worms will eat fine particulates, but cyano being a bacteria, generally gets ignored. Good husbandry will keep it at a minimum, but you'll never truly get rid of it. For the sake of sanity, don't think it as bad. Just use it as a reminder to do water changes and regulate your feedings.