normal cycling algae? help :(

Discussion in 'Algae' started by reeftrons, Dec 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Also if you don't have any corals in your tank you can do a total blackout. If you do have corals, you can do one for up to 4 days even 7 depending on the corals. Also you can cut down on your feedings during that time too. But it would help to know your parameters like ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphates.

2. Click Here!

3. reeftrons

reeftrons Astrea Snail

we have a finger leather, sarcophyton, green hammer and green star polyps. i will have the params today. thanks so much for the info.

4. reeftrons

reeftrons Astrea Snail

wow this is such great and thorough information. i really appreciate it. i am going to order the SpectrePure refurb today. i feel like it will be the best/most affordable solution for this issue right now. i truly appreciate the referrals of products as this gets overwhelming. we do have some of the clean up crew that you mention - turbo snail, emerald crab, blue leg hermits...but we probably do need more. i feel our crew is just not as substantial as they need to be as far as quantity.

once again, thank you for this valuable information!! you guys are really helpful!

5. reeftrons

reeftrons Astrea Snail

6. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

If you get the Spectrapure i believe it comes with a tds meter on it. Its best to have a tds online so you know whats going in and what coming out as the final product.

7. reeftrons

reeftrons Astrea Snail

I just ordered the spectrapure 90GPD refurb. I think that will be a great gift for him and will alleviate the issue. Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions and information. Adding more to the clean up crew and getting the algae ball are the next steps. Hope to report back soon with some success!

8. Click Here!

9. ricoop

ricoop Skunk Shrimp

Congrats, hope it helps. Ya'll will love not having to lug water around anymore!

10. The Sea Store

The Sea Store 3reef Sponsor

Great choice.
    Here's a great in-line TDS for only $29
    HM Digital In-line Dual TDS Meter

Looking forward for the updates. :)

11. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

For the RODI, its not always the whole unit you want to look at, its the filters!!!! Many of us have learned our lesson from this... Cheaper filters and RO membranes will not last you nearly as long. Replacing them twice will probably cost you as much as the whole system did in the first place. An RO membrane should last you 3-5 years. Sediment and carbon filters should be replaced every 6 months to protect the more expensive membrane. DI cartridge(s) should be replaced when TDS is anything above 0. The membrane protects the DI filter(s). If you get one, don't forget to buy a TDS meter, but remember, 0 TDS does not mean don't replace any filters. Do extensive research on these. I have an air water ice system with spectrapure filters in it. Research research research. If you post questions about RODI, you will probably get a response from AZdesertrat. Listen to him, he knows what he is talking about.

+1 to chaeto and GFO. Algae feeds on light, phosphate, and nitrate, and some other stuff. Try out a 24 hr light cycle on your fuge. More algae in the fuge = less bad nutrients in your system = less algae in your display tank. Btw, what type of lighting are you using in your display tank? How old are the bulbs? And how many hours a day are you leaving them on?

No problem! We all have suffered this problem at one point or another... The more info you post and the faster your husband admits that you guys have a problem, the sooner it will go away. My boyfriend does the same thing. He finally admitted we have red bugs! I am doing the treatment tonight! Wish me luck...