normal cycling algae? help :(

Discussion in 'Algae' started by reeftrons, Dec 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Wait a minute,

In those pics, the tank and rocks look great!
    Just the back and that OF box you're using.

Wouldn't it be all over everything?

2. Click Here!

3. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

she may need a full 7 stage though depending on whether the tap water is treated with chlorine or chloramine

4. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

Bulkreefsupply has some really good prices on nice ro/di's also.

5. ricoop

ricoop Skunk Shrimp

True, but 7stages is alot of cartridges to replace esp when 3 of them are DI. Before I buy a 7stage, I would want to know what TDS the tap water I'm starting with is. If it's not too bad I think I would go with a 4 or 5 stage.

+1 to the BRS RO/DI, heard good things about them and you can build a custom setup as well.

6. reeftrons

reeftrons Astrea Snail

going to the fish store tomorrow to get some! thanks so much for the suggestion!

7. reeftrons

reeftrons Astrea Snail

he cleans the sides. it is on the sand and starting to get on the rock again. over the past 2 weeks it has gotten increasingly bad and is sprouting up all over the place. the glass was the first place that got covered...then the sand...now the rock is starting to get it now.

8. Click Here!

9. reeftrons

reeftrons Astrea Snail

thank you. I will post 3 selections of ones that are in my budget and hopefully get some feedback from y'all soon.

10. saltyfresh

saltyfresh Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

any clean up crew for the mean time

11. nedim

nedim Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I bought the refurbished spectrapure unit. it is much better than the captive purity that I had.

12. The Sea Store

The Sea Store 3reef Sponsor

Hi ReefTrons ,

Sounds like your having some fun.

Congrats on the upgrade, it only gets better.

First thing I would recommend, a solid clean up crew. For a 55g set-up I would go with : 8-10 Scarlet Hermit Crabs ~ 10-15 Margarita or Turbo Snails ~ 20 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits ~ 10 Turban Snails~ 2-3 Emerald Crabs and lastly, 1 Sea Hare. This crew will get your tank looking great, but.. After algae is under control, you will need to supplement there diets by placing seaweed in the tank 1-2 times per week.

In the interim, reduce the time your tank is illuminated to 3-4 hrs per day for 3 days, this will help as well.

In reference to RO-DI, I would go with what NanoMano recommended, the SpectraPure 90gpd refurb unit. This is a great unit, company is in US (Arizona) and it is ALL that you need.

Long term plan, incorporate a NextReef SMR1 Media reactor. Pair this with EcoBak bio-pellets. 250ml will handle your 55g tank. This design is great, will eventually zero you out on Phosphates and Nitrates.

Good luck and enjoy your new set-up! :)