Non drilled tank alternatives- My DIY overflow...

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Todd_Sails, Oct 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Right,

You will still need a loop of some fashion and as vent tube to equalize the fluid levels in it, to keep the siphon in power outs.

Otherwise, turn the return pump off, or a power out and the loop going directly to the sump would drain the inner box dry, and let an air bubble in the upper loop.
    Then, power back on and you've lost the siphon in the upper loop and if yhou don't have a Return pump cut off system, you'll have a wet floor!

But you knew that, right?

2. Click Here!

3. 3lilbrats

3lilbrats Feather Duster

Now I got lost... LOL! My overflow should be less than 600GPH from the tank to the sump? That means my return should give me that same amount at the head, correct?

4. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

It would prob be wise to construct an overflow capable of 600GPH and only having your return pump run 200-300GPH back into the DT.

So you'd actually be running 200-300 thru the sump and you'll have plenty of room for error in your overflow.

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Simply put, what he said. You always want more potential flow from your return to the sump, than to your tank, so yhou don't get an overflowed tank.

6. i3oosted

i3oosted Flamingo Tongue

Very nice, seems simple enough that I can do it. My tanks already setup and I don't want to break it down I have zero room.

For a 75g tank, what would you scale down the pipe measurements to? For the plumbing, 3/4"? and for the overflow tube inside the tank? 3"? Is that U tube the reason it will not break flow? You put anything on top of that tube in your tank so CUC or anything else wont fall in?

Also, what is that air tube coming out directly on top?(not the vent)

7. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

just to add to this type of design overflow....simply put. it's great! I made a similar one to Todd's and it's been running now for 9 months with no issues or ever needing a restart. even when I drain my tank below the weir level it restarts on it's own.

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I would do at least 1" pipe, maybe 1&1/4". Inside the tank is up to you.
    The greater the circumference, the more surface skimming!
    The design keeps it's siphon in a power out.
    I have a cut piece of vinyl/plastic gutter guard on the top now to keep critters out- works great.

The air tube on the upper U has a one way valve I bought at WalMart- put a 1/4 airline on it and suck the air out when the ends are underwater to get the siphon started. Then seal it. I now keep a piece of tubing with a few tight knots in it to keep it air/water tight.

Wow, thanks for the plug! Glad it's working great!

10. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

This thread is a whole lot of scaryness...

Cudos to the op for coming up with the design, but I would rather run hob equipment or drill. Jmo

11. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

This doe work for some people, i dont know how though lol
    a long time ago i made one from my fuge back to my sump and it did work and overflow....all over my floor.
    not my cup of tea but some people are risks takers :)
    again, not taking away from the OP. sometimes this works, but it scares the hell outa me.

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Really people?

This does and has worked awesome! Did you see the thread title?
    It's not for every application. But my current set up is WAY better than any 5+ times the cost store bought model.

And Insane in ..., this IS a HOB device! Do you even understand the engineering behind this type of overflow? With statements like that, it does not seem so.
    Hello- again- the title of the thread? For alternatives when drilling is not an option?

I live an exspensive house, in an exspensive tax base neighborhood (everything is relative though), and I have never flooded my family room (where the DT is at)

Risk takers?

If your DIY device flooded your floor- sounds like designer/builder/operator
    error to me.

And maybe you didn't see my 180 build thread? It came with 2 large holes near a top back corner that is for 1.5 inch ID bulkheads? Or the pics of the Coast to Coast overflow I constructed in it?

Here's a current pic of my current 125 mixed reef, running this DIY overflow system- and doing it ver yell IMHO

[​IMG]

Here's my 180 build, with my tru Coast to Coast overflow I constructed

[​IMG]

If this alternative to drilling scares you somehow- don't try this at home!
    ;-)