Non drilled tank alternatives- My DIY overflow...

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Todd_Sails, Oct 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Greatr! Believe me, I had researched this ad nauseum, and have gone thru a few versions/sizes to get to my current one.

The beauty is that trails aere very inexspensive!

** If you are going with two, make sure that one will also work, OR, you make a high water level in you DT poser shut off switch like I do!

** I have NEVER had any water flooding my family room, and I don't want you to either!

By 'not as much space as me',
    do you mean in the tank, under the tank, and/or have a suitable basement?

I can help you thru all of this and probably get a design that will work great on your first build.

We can converse here, and/or PM me

Todd

2. Click Here!

3. 3lilbrats

3lilbrats Feather Duster

Thank's once again!

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

YOu're not hijacking.

2 inch is too big IMO for the overflow.
    However, it REALLY depnds on your return flow to the DT.

Then I'm assuming you're planning a sump, so that you'll need the overflow? Under you stand, or beside it-(which would give you more room)? If it's under the stand, you can use a plastic container- a sturdy/reinforced one, like you can buy at any large hardware/home depot type store. YOu can get one that you can bend some to fit under your tank.

Remeber the return flow is the pump at 0 head, minus the head loss and any bends you have in the return, and you have to have some bends!

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Look at post #16.

The image photo is one I borrowed, not my overflow. But the concept is the same!
    HOever, look at MY photos- that is my overflow!
    The outer vertical 'air vent' side also has a 90 degree bend on top so it hangs on the back, or side of your tank, and porovides the necessary vent to equalize the watrer level in the overflow during power outs, so when the power comesw back on, the overflow keeps it's siphon!

You can start with a 3/4 inch, or 1" ID pipe, which will give you good flow.

The intank overflow section ccan be much smaller also, such as a 3 or 4 inch ID pipe, which allows surface skimming like a RR tank, and will keep the siphon- as long as there are no leaks at the joints.

6. 3lilbrats

3lilbrats Feather Duster

Good to know.

I will like no less than 600GPH I can easily place a 20gal high tank (an LFS has one brand new that has been converted to a sump) in there and still have some space for my ecotech equipment that's under there(I may move them) at some point.

If I get the plastic container how should I separate the spaces inside? For return I'm looking at a triton 3 or 4 or a sicce. I'm staying away from mag's(just prefrences)

What size over you'll recommend for the inside the tank overflow?

7. 3lilbrats

3lilbrats Feather Duster

I didn't see your last post since I was typing. Lol. Ok. So one once with a 3 inch on top for skimming.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Could I use an internal overflow, like when used on a drilled tank, to do this? I really want to drill, but my tank is tapered.

Attached Files:

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I don't see why not, principles are the same.
    Either use the store bought outer box, also, or for more flow,
    Build a modified larger diameter overflow out of pvc = more flow to the sump.

** OH, now I see, this is a box you glue to the inside or outside? Then you would need a siphon type llike a store bought U tube, or a DIY PVC one - with the proper manufacture that won't loose it's siphon when the power if off the return pump.

** actully, I'd just then build it similar to what mine is, with a tube gong to the bottom, similar to the walled off section of a RR tank.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I think 600 to the sump is high for your size tank. the water needs to 'hang out' in the sump some for nutrient exchange like chaeto, fuges, etc.
    I'd even go larger on the intank part.
    Use the circumference total for the pipe to give you an idea of the linear water skimming interface.
    My 6 3/4 in Pipe = over 20inches surface skimming!!
    For your tank, lets say you had 200-300 gph going thru the sump,
    which is actually fairly high, especially for your size tank.

Flow overall should be made up with 1 or more water movers like powerhead/fans in the DT, etc.

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

It glues to the inside. I would like to use this and run PVC directly to the sump (hook over the top of the tank) rather than having in inner and outbox.