Noisy Overflow!!!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by el_sillo, Sep 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JP909

JP909 Feather Duster

No just buy a foot of hose then slide it till you get it to quiet down. I also used foam to keep the sound down.

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

On my overflow, I just have a sponge in the drain tube from the box, and it's nearly silent. Every 10 seconds or so, there's a slight "whoosh" sound, but you can't hear it over the fans on the hood, or the skimmer pump.

4. el_sillo

el_sillo Spaghetti Worm

ok i see, now in your video i also saw that inside your overflow box the water rises over your drain pipe, how is that so? mine falls exactly where the pipe starts!

5. JP909

JP909 Feather Duster

Could be that I have more flow or I also put a 1" PVC piece on my sum bulk head so I would hear the splash sound? Or even my return line from my overflow to my sump is three feet when I only need two feet?

6. JP909

JP909 Feather Duster

Do you have a ball valve to control you return pump? If so is it open all the way? If not open it and watch you water level so you won't flood. You might need to open all the way?

7. el_sillo

el_sillo Spaghetti Worm

well im fooling around with the overflow ball valve and i closed it a little until the sound stopped! and its deadly silence! the only thing im worried about is that i believe that because its taking in water slower! my water quality will drop! please let me know if im correct with what im thinking

8. Click Here!

9. el_sillo

el_sillo Spaghetti Worm

both my ball valves i have had them open all the way since the first day i started! and now that i tried closing the overflow valve its quiet! but i am worried about my cycling speed

10. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Just make sure you check the overflow on a regular basis, you don't want to have it flooding due to something getting stuck in there.

11. el_sillo

el_sillo Spaghetti Worm

i fixed the problem by adjusting the ball valves! thanks for all the help

12. ManNurseReefer

ManNurseReefer Fire Shrimp

Congrats! Alot of people overlook this as a fix for their overflow "burping noise". Just watch the water level in the tank for a few hours, if it stays the same you should be good and not require any adjustments for a long time. As far as the cycling speed faster is not always better when it comes to filtering. If you need additional flow in your tank you can get bigger powerheads.