Noisy overflow/sump...Please Help! Sounds like a 24/7 toilet!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Cyruskayos, Jan 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Cyruskayos

Cyruskayos Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

That white thing that looks like its in the skimmer? i don't know...maybe it was foam or something....it isn't there now whatever it was...anyways, could you please link me to a "filter pad"...thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Cyruskayos

oh, the thing inside the bioball container? what it does it the water comes out of the tube from the overflow box and the water makes it spin around and then the bioballs do their thing...does that explain why im getting the splashing? what are the bioballs for in the first place?

4. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

looks like a spray bar maybee luna,

hey cryus mabee if all else fails you can try and maake a small lid/cover for your overflow

1 person likes this.
  5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

If that is a spray bar, thats the problem. The spray bar is restricting the flow. Try taking off the spray bar and put a filter pad.

6. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

hey cry you should do a little reserch into a marine set up such as your so that you understand the fundamentals of your equiptment this will help you out to create a sustainable marine tank

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I agree with waste. I dont mind helping you at all but its hard to help you when you dont know what Im talking about. If the noise is a real pain, try to slow down the flow to the sump for now. Where are you located?

8. Click Here!

9. Cyruskayos

sorry if i don't know the words for everything now...and i don't know what everything is called. I have read ALOT over the past week or so. ANYWAYS...LUNA..YOU.ARE.MY.HEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i threw that spray bar right in the garbage! i'm going to pick up a filter pad now. Problem solved. Thanks ALOT. I can actually enjoy my big screen in the living room again :)

PS: im in virginia, about 30 mins south of richmond.

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Im glad that I could help,but dont through away the spray bar, you never know when and where you might need it again. Today it was you, tomorrow it will be me. Theres a saying we have in spanish that says; " one hand washes the other and both hands wash the face " Let us know if we can help again, cheers. Luna;D

11. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

a trickle plate would work better in the wet/dry then the noisy spray bar. the water needs to drip over the balls and not just flow from one spot onto the bio balls.

12. target001

target001 Skunk Shrimp

i have a wet/dry filter under my tank that is setup a lil differnt and is almost silent i think the trick is not allowing the water to drop to far to the bio balls
    here is a rough pic of my filter
    Untitled-1.gif

hope this helps