Noisy overflow/sump...Please Help! Sounds like a 24/7 toilet!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Cyruskayos, Jan 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Cyruskayos

Cyruskayos Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ok, I thought i would be able to finally sit down and enjoy my (temporarly) foggy? fish tank. Anyways, that isn't the issue here. My overflow sounds like a toilet. It is very loud. The noise is coming from the overflow box/pipe/tube thing that goes to my bioball box in my sump. I have fooled around with it for the past 2 hours. I have managed to stop the toilet sound, but when i do that not enough water is going into the sump and it makes a gurgleing sound. I have messed with this and i don't think there is anything i can do. If someone could give me tips that would be great. This needs to be solved ASAP. I have read about this Durso Standpipes Portal > Home but i don't know what to get/and how to use it/set it up/or if i CAN even use it. Please help! Here are pictures of my setup.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Dador

Dador Coral Banded Shrimp

Put a piece of tubing down the center. Adjust it up and down til the noise goes away.

Down where the sponge is in the overflow box.

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

The whole trick of the noise is the flow of the hose. It has to be an even flow with no restrictions or real sharp turns. In other words, it has to flow smoothly. I had the same problem once. From the looks of the pics, it has to much of a downward flow for just the 1" pvc elbow. If possible try to install a two way "exit" into the sump.

5. Cyruskayos

how big of a peice of tubing? please explain a little better.

and lunatick, please explain what a "2 way exit" is. Thanks...i really need to get this done. I'm willing to go to home depot tonight and spend whatever it takes....

6. Dador

Dador Coral Banded Shrimp

Just air line tuning or some thing you have that will fit down the center of the hole that water drains from in your overflow box. A piece maybe 1-2 feet so it won't slip down into the hose heading back to the sump. You want to keep it so there is plenty sticking back toward you and won't slip down there where you can't get it out. just try differing length hanging onto the end and just raise and lower it in that drain til the noise subsides. when you quiet it down just clip it to the side so it can't slip down. Lunatik is right though. Get thing set up correctly and you should be fine. The tubing will quiet it down so you can get some sleep.:p

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

What i mean by a two way exit is, right now you have one 1" pvc elbow connected to the sump/wet dry. Try installing two pvc tubes that flow into the sump/wet dry. Like a T fitting.

or try putting some bio balls in the over flow box on the sponge part, or adjust the inside box a little higher so there isnt so much flow going to the sump. sorry the diagram didnt come out as planned. Im gonna try another way to show you.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  8. Click Here!

9. Cyruskayos

its ok, i understood your diagram :)...do i have to purchase tubing like i already have? how would i go about connecting them? do they have connectors at home depot? sorry im not that handy.. :-\...im going to try bioballs now.

10. Cyruskayos

ok, i just tried the bioballs, no luck, I just raised my 10 gallon tank with no luck..here are pictures. The noise is NOT coming from my overflow. It is indeed coming from the "splashing" of the water against the bioballs in the sump. How do i stop this???????????

[​IMG]

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Try putting a filter pad

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

What is that thing(I cant see what it is) that is at the end of the tube inside of the sump just above the bio balls?