"no soliciting" opinions (as in door-to-door sales)

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Peredhil, Nov 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Right, it's as if they want to have this long list of approved/not approved types of soliciting, but only say "no soliciting". Well, maybe I want that meat... Why do they get to pick which types of soliciting is fine.

We haven't formed an HOA yet, but I will definitely be running for office.

It's all equal, yeah! all or nothing. I'm fine with either.

(my house will actually be 900 ft deep into the forest with a gate at the road - I won't have to deal with them regardless :laughings)

right you are. I am referring to door-to-door salesman to clarify ;).

Queue solicitor joke

:)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

I agree that ur hostile. jk ;D

I kinda like the idea of a guy selling stake out of his van. Very convenient IMO. I wouldn't mind a couple other products sold that way too, as long as when you say no, they just go away.

1 person likes this.
  4. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Que anti-soliciting arguement:

"I understand that as homeowners we don't appreciate the door-to-door salesman, I too am not a fan of it. I also understand that the majority of us, or our neighbors, have kids that per school/scout fundraisers need to engage in this door-to-door type of soliciting. If we were to ban the steak solicitor from our neighborhood, then wouldn't it be discriminatory to allow others to keep soliciting. Banning school/scout door-to-door soliciting doesn't mean that our kids can't sell to this neighborhood, all it means is give your neighbor a call and say "Hey, how's your day going? Mind if we stop by for a visit, my kid is selling ______?" That way our kids don't have to go door-to-door soliciting their fundraisers but yet still get the opportunity to sell here. I personally don't know of one person that isn't friends with someone who has a kid selling scout cookies or any other school item. I would much prefer a polite phone call than a knock on my door from someone going door-to-door. I would also still be happy to purchase said cookies if I were given the call. I have kids myself and understand the need to do these fundraisers and am not trying to prevent our children from doing such in this neighborhood."

There, how's that for ya?

1 person likes this.
  5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

well what are their solid points as to why children should be allowed to sell stuff?
    I feel half of it is that they might have children that will have to sell stuff and they will want their children to sell the cookies around the development.

Heres my 2 cents:
    IF you want to get what you want out of them, you have to motivate them to see your side. When i want something to happen that is not always accepted by others right away I use the tried and true method; Monroe's Motivational Sequence.
    1.Attention- (you have already done this by showing your side on the matter)

2.Need- you break down their current beliefs by giving them a lot of examples as to why they shouldnt allow children. Explain why your side is better. Benefits to your side. You could maybe try to show them how it could be unsafe to have these children doing this...? make them feel negative emotions about kids.

3.Satisfaction- show them why it is better if they DONT have the kids and meat men. make them feel positive emotions (security) about not having the solicitors.

4.Visualization- give examples of why the proposed action is the best way to go. real live examples are best.

5.Action- this step just means implementing the idea. Should happen naturally if above steps are done right.

I guess its kinda excessive to go about this small matter using the whole sequence... but I hope this helps if your really passionate towards your point :)

1 person likes this.
  6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I see your point and their point. I think a good approach would be to try to first understand their point of view, why they want to draw a distinction. Perhaps b/c one is commercial and one is charitable. Once you understand their point of view, you will be able to better formulate your own view with counter points.

In the end, if you do run for office, try to compromise. That will give you the best relationship with your neighbors and allow you achieve what you want. Perhaps set a time restraint, "only during daylight hours" for the kids or perhaps something more specific. If you want that office, you will need to appease somebody.

1 person likes this.
  7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Really my position is either course is fine so long as it's one or the other.

If you don't want the magazine salesman, then you don't get cookies!

If you want cookies, then you got the magazine salesman.

It just irritates me that it has to default to a hypocritical stance (IMO). And that's my main goal - to be across the board with whatever decision. It's not fair to pick out any one group for distinction like this.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

So what your saying is that instead of door to door Soliciting we go to telemarket Soliciting imo that is more annoying. At lease when you get the call from the call from cali in maine and there is a pause you can still hang up before hearing hey friend how is your day today we are just in the neighborhood selling cookies.... How do you hang up on that lol.... I understand your point. I am sorry the door was just wide open here.

10. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Kids don't bother me. It's different to me than someone trying to sell something. Solicitors irritate me, but are usually nice and leave when I say I'm not interested. We have large lots and many people see "money" there. Lots of trees to prune, landscaping to do, etc.

However, we often get these "scam" solicitors that are selling magazines or whatever. They give you this big long sob story and when you politely decline they get aggressive or abusive. I had one lady yell at me "I hope you burn in hell!". We've also had some break-ins in the neighborhood (and this is a very safe area) and the police think it's the magazine sellers. They come to case your house and if you don't answer the door they break in. If you do answer the door, they try to sell you magazines and rip you off.

I got a no soliciting sign, we'll see if it works. LOL

11. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Why are you demanding that the ban be all or nothing. Things don't always have to be black and white. Just because they ban soliciters does not mean that they cannot modify the ban to exclude kids. If your neighbors want to ban soliciters that will not preclude you from calling the guy driving the meat wagon to come fill up your freezer. If he is invited, he is not a soliciter!

12. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

The other point I did not mention in my last post is that "The Meat men" a very ofter like many people selling something walk right on by that no Soliciting sign. I live on a private road say no trespassing on it at the end its a dirt road in a small town in maine that the 9 houses on the 1 mile road own and yet we still get the meat men, the girlscouts, the mormins, the jehovahas witnesses, the baseball candybars etc. I think a sign will do nothing other then offer an expence to put up. I own a landscape company as one of my companies and to be honest with one of my fully lettered up trucks in my yard parked someing tried to Solicit landscaping to me...... This is a tough battle to win. I personally dont mind any of it and if I can help sometimes I do tried the meat was not good, love the girlscout cookies, paid 30 for my sons friend to sell me a box of popcorn through boyscouts but sometimes I just say thanks im all set. The meat guys do drive me nuts though they harass the wife despite me saying no thank you have a good day.