No PE but there is growth (Montipora digitata) *Update last page

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by zesty, Oct 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Montipora digitata
    So, I got this frag from Jerry back on 6/1. It's never looked as good as the day I got it... In ref to the PE that I saw. I was looking thru some old pictures and noticed that this frag IS growing even though it doesn't look as good as it did when I first got it.

This pic is about 2 weeks after I got the frag
    6/17/13
    [​IMG]

10/1/13 (about 2 days after the frag/rock fell right over - the white spots on the frag)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Encrusting is good. What type of sps is it? Does the Angel ever show any interest in the frag? Angels may nip sps and the sps will show little or no PE in the presence of the Angel.

4. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

duh! I just went back and added the name to the original title. It' a Montipora digitata.

I've never seen the angel nip or show any interest to corals so far. I remember taking this picture just as he came up, then the phone camera actually took this picture and he looks like he's eyeing it up. haha. I've always had this concern since getting the angel. Is there anything else to look for in angel-nippingness (not a real word) on the frag or something else I could be looking for?

thanks!

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I have no 1st hand knowledge regarding Angels nipping Digitata, I am more than sure it's possible. A lot of times you see no visual damage, and nipping can occur at night or when the lights are off. Digitata does not show those pronounced polyps you see on some Acropora namely Millepora, they have nice dainty like flower shaped polyps but the coral should still appear fuzzy. Digitata are pretty hardy and usually a fast grower.
    I would be inclined to think the age of the tank is of greater influence regarding growth, and parameters.
    With all that said, I have seen Angels just cruse by and not overtly nip sps and that was enough to keep the coral from showing PE. My Angel never took pieces out of my clam, but the repeated passing by and the occasional little mouthing were enough to stress the clam to the point of removing the Angel.

6. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I over think my tank all the time. I have thought about the presence of the angel and that this coral is right up top. I have also thought about the age of the tank and what role that is playing.
    I have also thought about this frag compared to others. Until I glued it down, it was falling once a week to once every other week for probably 2 months before I glued it down. I wonder what affect that has had on the frag.

I am happy to see the progress of the entrusting part of it. I'm glad that I am seeing SOME growth even without the polyp extension.

7. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I've been thinking about this angel. I may try and catch him and put him in my sump for a week and see what happens to the DT...

opinions? Would this be a good way to find out if he's nippin or waste of time?

I ask because when I overthink it leads to brash reactions and then...

8. Click Here!

9. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

If the other corals are doing well I wouldn't bother.If you suspect that he's nipping and causing harm to your tank as a whole then you have a decision to make.

10. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

That frag probably looks fine for knocking it over how many times?, lol. Always look at the rim. Growth or no recession is good. Even though that coral is higher up in my tank, it gets better color with a little less light, but can grow in a broad range.

Also, IIRC, those angels don't have a real high survival rate long term.

11. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

:-[ yeah... every time it got knocked over :-[
    I was trying to find a spot in the tank that it worked in, but yeah, every time it fell over... I knew I should have just glued it and let it be. put this under the huge file of "lessons learnt"

I'll give it some time. I have a tendency to do too much monkeying around in the tank. If it's growing, then it's not dead!

thanks!

1 person likes this.
  12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

here's some karma for you zesty! I've been bad in the past and not glued things down and that has to take a toll on the coral by getting knocked over multiple times.

Oh, and stop monkeying around :cheesy:

1 person likes this.