No More Power Outtage's

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by GreyGhost, Sep 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Purple Spiny Lobster

They have other sources of energy but to stop drilling here and using foriegn oil would put a huge dent in our economy. There is far to much money in oil and gas to stop using it. And remember we are not allowed to talk politic's so let's not get to far off the main topic.

2. Click Here!

3. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Purple Spiny Lobster

Our nation relies to much on the oil and gas industry to stop using it and go green. Think about what stopping the use of oil and gas would to the economy. And remember we are not allowed to talk politic's so let's not get to far off the main topic.

4. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

The other motor is running off the battery. It will draw more power from the battery than it will make by turning the alternator.

I see exactly what you are talking about but it doesn't work like that. In order for that to work the alternator would have to make more power than the electric motor uses. Don't you see why it wouldn't work? The electric motor and alternator are both going to be converting battery power into heat and noise which is a loss of energy. Energy can not be created nor destroyed it can only change forms. All the noise and heat you described in your first post is battery power being wasted.

5. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I tried this in 5th grade. If you turn the shaft a motor it will generate electricity like an alternator. So I connected the shaft of two small motors together and wired them together. I hoped it would run forever. Guess what it didn't. It didn't run any longer than just spinning the shaft of the motors without wiring them together. I went and asked my dad why.

No motor is 100% efficient at converting electricity into rotational energy. There is loss due to friction and electrical loss in the copper windings of the motor. Both of these create heat. The same is true for the alternator. Even if you could get a 100% efficient motor and 100% efficient alternator there is still the resistance of the wires connecting everything. There is also resistance in the battery. In order to make this work you need to create energy to overcome these losses. This is impossible as it violates the conservation of energy. Conservation of energy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. fuzzyfish

fuzzyfish Astrea Snail

you wont believe this, after reading and posting on this thread about this I saw it on mythbuster and it did NOT WORK for them and it wont work for you, and it sure as heck did not work for einstein!

7. fuzzyfish

fuzzyfish Astrea Snail

oh ya and i am a automotive technican and alternaters take power to make power

8. Click Here!

9. oakvad

oakvad Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hay ghost, look into brushless motors they are very efficiant and take alot less power only draw back is you need an electronic controller and they are kinda pricey. Dont give up man. Remember think outside the box

10. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

-Read the first post wrong, it won't work.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  11. agent77

agent77 Astrea Snail

keep at it dont be discourage , it sounds like a learning experience to me . If it doesnt work for you , at least you learned why and how expensive a generator can run you .Good luck with your journey !!!!

12. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

He would need a motor more than 100% efficient (there is no such thing). Not even brushless motors will work. If he bought a brushless motor and a controller powerful enough to turn the alternator he could have bought a generator.

You can get a 2,000 watt generator for $200.
    Sportsman 2000 Watt Sportsman Portable Generator - GEN154 at The Home Depot

Thank you pgreef for posting the conversation of energy law.