No More Power Outtage's

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by GreyGhost, Sep 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Purple Spiny Lobster

The battery is charged by the alternator.

2. Click Here!

3. fuzzyfish

fuzzyfish Astrea Snail

i would say that it won't work, but if it did there is to many things to go wrong and the power would probaly not be consistant enough I say buy a generator

4. ManNurseReefer

ManNurseReefer Fire Shrimp

I have a few years experience as an aircraft electrician. I have to agree that although this is an interesting idea, it will not work. The battery will be going through an inverter, some voltage will automatically be lost. The battery will be powering all of the tank equip and powering a fan motor to turn an alternator. An alternator must spin pretty fast to put out any kind of significant power. Also it takes power to turn a heavy altenator rotor which would eat up the batt. Try to find a good deal on a cheap generator.

5. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

When I first read your post I thought you were using the alternator to keep the battery charged before the power outage concerned. It wasn't until later that I realized what you are proposing is a perpetual motion machine. Perpetual motion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you could get this to work why stop at your tank? You'd be able to run your whole house from it and disconnect from the grid.

If the fan motor and alternator were 100% efficient you would be able to run it and keep the battery charged if you were not running the inverter to power your tank. However the motor and alternator aren't 100% efficient. They produce heat and noise which is a loss of energy. Therefore you'll have less power coming out of the alternator than came out of the battery initially and you'll run the battery down.

When you hook up the inverter to run your tank you are further draining the battery. You would need the alternator to actually produce energy to replace the energy drain from the tank. You cannot produce energy from nothing. If you could make this work you'd become the richest man on the planet.

6. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

It won't work. In a car the alternator is powered by the internal combustion engine, not the battery.

What you are trying to do is create energy. Trust me man I passed physics in high school with a C-, this won't work.

1 person likes this.
  7. GreyGhost

I talked to an electrical technician with Advanced Auto in Pryor he reffered me to Grainger in Tulsa and alot of people in the country do this and it work's for thing's like well houses and he said my drawback was the size of the motor I need to use would be larger than an electric motor off of a shop fan. He is going to research it for me and see what is the smallest and most affordable motor there is available for me. As far as getting off the grid the only legal way to do that is with using the sun as an alternate energy source. So I guess the electric companies have tied a knot in the field of energy but for something like a small aquarium it is legal and will work. I just need a larger electric motor to turn my alternator with. A smaller motor like I spoke of would have to run continous to supply the battery with needed power and so on and so forth and the motor would fry. So When I find out what this other motor will set me back and how large it is then I will keep you posted. It will work Stepho. Power like this has been used for a long time now, according to Grainger.
    Ghost

8. Click Here!

9. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

You cannot create energy from nothing. Perpetual motion machines don't work. Read the wikipedia article I linked to. Save your money and buy a generator or just hook the inverter up to your car.

10. GreyGhost

That is what the other motor spoke of with the pulley represent's, (the motor) it is the same as long as it turns the alternator it charges the battery which in turn run's the inverter which in turn run's the motor that run's the alternator which in turn charges the battery. See?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  11. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Don't you think that everyone would have one of these in their house already if it worked? Don't you think the power company would have a scaled up version? Don't you think every car on the road would use the same technique to generate infinite power? Don't you think this would completely eliminate any need for foreign oil or coal or nuclear power? This would be the ultimate green way to create energy. It doesn't work and that's why we don't have it.

Good luck.

12. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

It takes more power to run the fan and the alternator, then you will get out of it. If it was that easy, we would have our power issues all solved.