Nitrogen Cycle Issues

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by mirosh, Oct 23, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Mike,

What does the die off look like? Is it powdery brown stuff or something else?

Also while you are out, get yourself a turkey baster, probably the best things for blowing 'stuff' off rocks etc.

John

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

No argument here [smiley=hehe.gif]

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Now John, stop it or you will go blind :)

John

5. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

I have a turkey baster to blow the stuff off of rocks...and that is the exact stuff that is sitting on the sand...I got some of it when I suctioned out and did the water change...but I'm thinking some of it will just go away once I put snails and crabs in...

Let me know...Mike

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Mike,

I wouldn't be too concerned about the stuff on the sand as it is all part of the initial cycles we all go through :) Keep your skimmer going and get as much of that " stuff" into the water column as you can so it will get skimmed out.

Fairly soon, I am sure, you will also see green algae, maybe some hair algae and then some cyanobacteria.
    IMHO the best time to add snails is when you see the slimy green algae on the glass.

I also think you should be a bit careful with water changes at this stage, keep them to a minimum unless you see high levels of Nitrate developing.

John