Nitrogen Cycle Issues

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by mirosh, Oct 23, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

It's not bickering, it's a John thing, and we do it all the time, don't we John? :)

John

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

[smiley=hehe.gif] Yes we do John ;) ;D..... JOHN

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

In the words of Maxwell Smart

" and loving it "

John

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hey! I didn't know you Aussies were able to get "Get Smart" over there! I used to watch that all the time (when I was a kid LOL) and loved it!

Missed it by THAT much, Chief!

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

BL, yes we got it all and I grew up with it too.

" I don't want to know the time, Shmart --- just keep your eyes on the watch. Shtarker … activate the directional mechanism."

John :)

7. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

Guys, once I added my 2 jumbo shrimp the water got foggy...i wouldnt say thick fogginess, but enough that it doesnt look good!  Is this normal?  I figured it was just because of the ammonia levels in the tank (which are definately now up to 1-2.

Thanks,
    Mike

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Mike,

Some fogginess is normal in a new tank, it should clear with a week or so. :)

John

10. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

Alright Everybody:

Here is the deal...put in those two shrimp, as we discussed earlier, then the ammonia and nitrite levels spiked!!!! Then the nitrate level was at about 40ppm...I did a 30% water change and the nitrate is now at 20ppm with ammonia and nitrite at 0 each...is that good enough for fish or do I have to get the nitrate lower?

Tips would be great...

Also, what type of fish/crabs/shrimp should I start with?

Thanks,
    Mike

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Mike,

Sounds good to me :) I wouldn't be too concerned with the Nitrate levels at this stage as they will not do any harm at 20ppm.

So IMO you need to decide whether to keep the cycle going for a while by adding more food or by adding an animal and I guess that you have already decided on the later :)

I would now a one fish, something smallish and fairly hardy, remembering that the fish may live for a long time so select carefully.

There is a lot of information about this in the fish section, so have a browse and select something suitable for you and your tank.

Once you see some algae growth, then intro some crabs, snails etc. You could add these first if you want to, but my preference would be to add the fish to keep the cycle going properly

John

12. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

John,

Thanks for the speedy reply...I am going to go to my LFS over the after the weekend to get a fish and possibly some snails/crabs...whatever they recommend...I will definately keep you posted on the progress!

Any suggestions for getting the die off off of my sand?

Thanks,
    Mike