Nitrogen Cycle Contest! Win a *New* 120 Cone Simmer OR Sulphur Denitrator

Discussion in 'SWC Skimmers.com' started by coloradoReef, Feb 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coloradoReef

coloradoReef 3reef Sponsor

2. Click Here!

3. slocal

slocal Doot!

C'mon guys, help out a great company put out some need flyers!

4. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

^bump

1 person likes this.
  5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I'm shocked this isn't going crazy!

A $200 cone skimmer for a few minutes of writing? It makes me wish I needed a skimmer!

6. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

this is a great idea and great promo.

I think having a write up of whats going on in the tank is a really good idea and will be if nothing else educational for those sitting and waiting (how many people read random stuff on the wall while waiting? LOTS).

I probably would not cover up the tank just because it will look like a tank that is covered up and will be unsightly. But what i did (or my lil sister) when we set up a new tank in my dads office at work she made some cut outs of big and small fish and colored them in and we taped them to the tank! It looks silly but really its funny and distracts from the hazy new tank and it didnt look too bad.
    This is not to say that the reading material is not needed i would still defiantly post info as to what is going on... but also maybe a few paper fish :p

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

^bump

8. Click Here!

9. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Why is this aquarium empty? Rocks and sand alone? Where are the fish?
    It’s undergoing a process known as a Nitrogen Cycle.
    The Nitrogen Cycle is defined as a biological process by which ammonia begins to form by dead or decaying matter brought into the aquarium from the rocks, sand, water, fish or fish food. The ammonia is broken down into nitrites and then broken down further into nitrates.
    When an aquarium is first set up, it is not considered “matured” enough to house fishes, corals or plants until it has undergone the nitrogen cycle.
    This process is usually considered the most difficult part of setting up an aquarium because the entire “cycle” process can take anywhere between two weeks to one month. Indeed, it requires a lot of patience that many of us lack. To be honest, it’s a bit boring to watch an empty, baron aquarium for this long.
    But, it’s by far the most important step in setting up your aquarium.
    WHY?
    It is considered the most important step because without completing this process, your fish, corals and plants are likely to perish because of the rise in ammonia which spikes during the first week of set up. Then, the Nitrosomas Bacteria begin to feed on the Ammonia, breaking it down into Nitrite between weeks two and three of the initial set up. Then, the Nitrites are broken down by beneficial Nitrifying Bacteria (Nitrobactor Bacteria) into Nitrates. These nitrates become near to zero or undectable by week four of the set up. The diagrams below illustrate this process.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The only sure way to keep track of the “cycle” is to do frequent water testing. When the nitrates are zero, then and only then it is acceptable to begin stocking your aquarium.
    It is also very important to know your stocking limits and boundaries in order to establish and maintain a healthy environment for your fish, corals and plants.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  10. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Well, I tried, dicided to go with the short and sweet explination.
    good luck everyone;)

11. slocal

slocal Doot!

Nice entry Sid. K+

12. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Thanks. I still think that yours pounded mine into the ground;)
    K+

Common 3reefers let's see your creativity!:trampolin