Urgent Nitrites spiking / cloudy water

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Austin88, Apr 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Austin88

Austin88 Plankton

Hello all,

I set up a 20 gallon reef tank about 5 weeks ago and the cycle had finished a few days ago. My pH was 8.1, Ammonia was 0ppm, Nitrites were 0ppm, Nitrates were 0ppm, the sg. was 1.024., and the temp was 79 degrees. I put 2 clown fish in last night and today the nitrites have shot up to 2ppm and the water is now very cloudy. Thanks for the help

2. Click Here!

3. Austin88

Austin88 Plankton

I did a 25% wc about 2 hours ago which seems to have helped with the water clarity a little bit. It does not seem to have helped with the nitrite levels though as they are still at 2ppm. The pH, ammonia, and nitrate have remained at the pre-fish readings.

4. JK901

JK901 Skunk Shrimp

Any update on this? I'm not sure what would have caused the water to turn cloudy after you added fish but I am interested to find out if you figured it out.

5. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Your tank is not done cycling. You should have nitrate as an end result that can really only be removed by water changes. You have enough bacteria specific to ammonia, where you haven't seen that value rise, but the tank is still establishing a nitrite specific bacteria.

The cloudiness is an over abundance of bacteria.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012