Nitrite problem

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by TORMENTOR, Dec 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TORMENTOR

TORMENTOR Bristle Worm

I was thinking that also. The reason I replaced the Bio Wheel Filter is because the so called back pack doesnt have enough carbon in the pouch, I have used 2 back packs at a time thinking that would help but it didnt seem to do anything for the problem.
    Now that I have the Fluval canister filter running again I will give it a few more days and 1 more water change (tomorrow) to see if the level comes down before using the Nitra-Zorb.

Thanks Luna, I cant wait to get the 75 gallon Marine tank going. But that is an ongoing thing with getting all the equipment for it. I still dont know if I want to make my own sump/fug or go out and buy a wet/dry filter and be done with it...

Rich

2. Click Here!

3. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Hey, in a pinch, just use the Kordon Aqua+
    Novalek - Kordon - Amquel+

I had to dose with meds a full tank of cichlids including a large Oscar and wiped out my Bio Filter. During the Re Cycle, the Am and Nitrites went way up. I dosed with this and kept it all in sync while cycling.

I also added the Bio Zyme product to help add the Bio Filter back. I didnt lose any fish.

Always do proper maintenance and keep you bio load correct, but in a pinch this stuff worked great for me.

Good luck.

4. xeddyboi420x

xeddyboi420x Bristle Worm

if you don't mind me asking, where are you getting your ro/di water from?

5. TORMENTOR

TORMENTOR Bristle Worm

My local fish store.

I was thinking that his parameters might be off also but I checked it and everything was (0), So I know its something in my tank.

When my LFS seals a 60g tank my sister in law brought up to him I am taking this thing down to make room for my 75g reef tank I have in the works.

As for now I'm done doing anything else to the tank except water changes........... I am beyond baffled.

As for what is in the tank I have all plastic plants, 25lbs of gravel bought from Petco (could be the problem...you know petco!!!) a few rocks for decoration (I have always had them with no issues like this). I had 1 large piece of drift wood that I removed because the fish would always hide behind it so it didnt look like I had any...and I had 2 other rocks that I bought from a LFS that said they SHOULD be ok for my tank.......took them out thinking they were the problem, still no change.

I have an undergravel filter powerd by a Hagen 402 powerhead and have had my Fluval 203 canister filter running for about a week and a half now and still Nitrites are off the chart.

Again, the fish I have are 2 Black Angels, 3 Bloodfin Tetras, 3 Cory Cats, 2 Pictus Cats and I baby Marygold Swordtail swimming around in his/her floating breader tank.

I feed the occupents 3 times per week (all food is consumed) and the baby is feed 2 or 3 times a day (very small amount so it doesnt decay in his tank), the little bugger is getting bigger every day, I may have to release him next week.

Water temp is 76-78
    Ammonia is 0
    Nitrate is 0
    Nitrite is ......................................................................................................off the chart

6. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Hey if you numbers are off the charts and water changes are not helping, I would use the Amquel + just so you don't lose any one. I used it on a 90 gallon full of big fish and saved everyone.

That said, it is coming from somewhere. Is it possible you have a decaying fish in there somewhere ?

I see you had the water tested elsewhere as well so thats good.

Either way, I suspeck your Bio Wheel was doing more than you thought.. In this scenario you will be having number issues with the bio filter getting out of whack. Your Fluval wont help until the Bio filter is activated in a few weeks.

I would -
    1.) Get some Amquel+ and dose while testing the nimbers for a couple of weeks.
    2.) Get your favorite brand of Bio Juice. You need to jumpstart your Bio Filter. I recently used Cycle and and I am happy witht he results.

But hey, thats me..

Good Luck

7. makinITwork

makinITwork Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

how thick is the gravel?

If your fresh tank is like my SW.. then I would say to loose the undergravel. Undergravel filters are nitrate factories. I used to be a fan of UG until recent. My nitrates were out of control. I removed my UG filter and I reduced my bed from 6 inches of coral to 1 inch of sand. For the 1st time in years, my nitrates are under control.

8. Click Here!

9. TORMENTOR

TORMENTOR Bristle Worm

My Nitrates are fine it's my Nitrite that is off the chart.

I just bought 10 more gallons of RO/DI water from the LFS after doing my 25% water change again today and I will recheck it tomorrow, but it will still be off the charts, guaranteed!!!

As far as the undergravel filter goes, I'm not removing it because I will be taking the whole thing down when My sister-n-law gets her 60g tank sealed. They are getting everything from this tank to combine with what they have in their 29g tank

10. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

questions.

The tank is a little over 2 months old correct?

When did you add all those fish to the system? All at once?

11. TORMENTOR

TORMENTOR Bristle Worm

Well I checked the Nitrite again yesterday and it is finaly coming down, it read 1.0.....so now I am felling better about it. Its to bad that I will be taking it down this weekend to make room for the 75 gallon reef tank. That is going to be a sloooooooow build, but I'm excited none the less. I dont care if I have to look at nothing but rock for a couple of months.

Rich

12. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

that's a very good attitude, hope it stays that way :)