nitrates driving me crazy

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by TBELT, Jan 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TBELT

TBELT Ritteri Anemone

I have had my 55 gallon tank for about 4 months now. I purchased it on Craigslist. It came with everything including fish. When i first moved it i used the old sand and my nitrates were very high. Between 80-100. I replaced the sand and most of the water and it dropped to 20. It has hovered there for the entire time with no ill effects I could see on fish or corals.

Recently it went to about 40-50 and some of my corals are not opening all the way. My understanding is that nitrates are like credit card debt...no time to get in truoble but a long time to get out. I have been doing 5-6 gallon water changes every day for a week and have cut back on feeding. Yet the nitrates will not go below 40. I am thinking that I will do a twenty gallon change but am worried about the massive change be bad for the inhabitants.

Other test are great o amminia, 0 nitrites calcium at 450 phospates 0 ph at 8.3 temp is a constant 76-77. i have a chiller and a heater working in the sump. The heater is controlled by the chiller. I have removed the bio balls and clean the mechanical filters every other day.

My 34 tank that has been neglected and has very little rock and 2 damsels is perfect. I use RO water to mix my salt (I use red sea coral pro salt) and one tank is perfect and one is driving my nuts. Am I missing something? Should i do something else? Do i need to do a big massive water change? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking and any help.

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

You need to find whats causing your No3 issue. I know, its easier said then done.
    1. Do you have enough LR?
    2. Do you have a sump or a refugium?

luna

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I have been having similar issues. I can't seem to get mine down, either. Water change and they build right back up even with a good skimmer.

Maybe something is leeching out of your rock? I got my rock from a few stores in Tampa and I noticed that the Marco rocks I got has covered in coralline in just a couple months. The rock I got down there and transferred to my 75 barely has any after over a year. Bad juju I think.

Good luck and keep us posted on your problem.

5. TBELT

TBELT Ritteri Anemone

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I was in the same boat as you with 20ppm for the longest and never dropped even after a 25g WC. After I installed the new sump/refug, it went to zero and has stayed there ever since.

luna

1 person likes this.
  7. TBELT

TBELT Ritteri Anemone

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

1 person likes this.
  10. TBELT

TBELT Ritteri Anemone

11. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

12. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

When my tank was about 3 months old I was having horrible nitrate issues and I couldn't get them to go down. I added some SeaChem Purigen filter media and was very diligent about weekly water changes and they eventually went down. It took about 3 weeks for the Purigen to work. Now the nitrate levels are just fine and I have no algae problems.