Nitrates at ZERO. From 20 - Here is what I did.

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by ALW, Dec 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

This happened to me also when I set up my refuge it was real bad I tryed everything but my fudge was covered in it. once I raised my mag to 1500 it was all gone in about 3 days. I was actually surprised at how quick it went away by doing this

2. Click Here!

3. el_sillo

el_sillo Spaghetti Worm

im gonna try that bulb because right now i have this bulb Coralife Mini Compact Fluorescent 50/50 Fluorescent Bulbs
    but it doesnt seem to be working even do its 10,000K and actinic,, my macroalgae is alive and well but it really doesnt seem to be growing at least not as fast as you guys are saying it grows!

4. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

If you want to start getting advanced with your refugium consider dosing iron, nitrates and/or phosphate. If you have a problem getting nitrates to go down, dosing phosphates can help. The reverse also works. Macro is pretty efficient when you have a N:p of 20:1 - 14:1. If one nutrient is lacking, and limiting the absorption of another, a nutrient supplement can have the overall effect of lowering nutrients. You should know what you are doing, and go slowly of course. If you are dosing phos, be very slow as you are walking a fine line (results and an algae bloom). Kent Botannica's Nitro and Phos are my supplements of choice. The components make it easier to manipulate one problem without affecting the other.

If the chaeto machine breaks down one day, maybe it is time for a little iron boost. But only after you have checked to see if nutrients are building up.

5. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

Since my last post (3 weeks ago) I have given away approximately 8-10 softball sized pieces. 3 softballs to a 3Reef member- Damsels R Cool.

Also, I noticed that the Home Depot by me carries the light fixture now. They actually had two sizes.

6. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

After reading this thread, I decided to use your advice and went and got one at Lowes, HD did not stock it. I'll see how it does! They only had 65w in stock. I might try to get one online with a little more watage..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

You dont need actinic lighting in a refugium, only daylight. Thats whats wrong with set-up. Luna

8. Click Here!

9. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

You will probably have poor results with that bulb.. The bulb I am using does NOT have the dome on it. The dome cuts out a lot of brightness. I use those in my kitchen and it is much darker in there now.

Get the curly bulb in no less than 100 watt. You will be much happier that way.

10. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

11. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

You are right. I have had it for two weeks, and actually looks like my cheato is shrinking rather than getting larger. I will order it tonight. Thanks for the input.

12. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

My 100watt blew out. I put in the 75 watt figuring it'll do. A week later there was no added growth. I went out ans bought the 100w at Walgreen's and the Cheato Factory is back on line.

1 person likes this.