Nitrate too high

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by alexander, Apr 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kelley11

Kelley11 Peppermint Shrimp

Only thing I can add to what other people have said is using a Nitrate Sponge such as:

Kent Marine Nitrate Sponge

I use this on several of my tanks and it works very well (it does take a couple of weeks to work). In your situation with a new cycle I would wait for it to end before using this media. Water changes will help in reducing nitrates.

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

copper

1 person likes this.
  4. alexander

alexander Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Where would the copper have come from? I have never dosed my tank.

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I don't know man :)

Is the tank new? Do you have any copper parts in your setup? Are you using any pool pumps? Did someone drop a penny in your tank?

I'm not saying it is copper, I'm just throwing out some thing else it could have been.

Could also have been bad snails, ammonia, something else...

6. alexander

It was a used tank, but I cleaned it really good. There are no copper parts in my setup. I am using a cheap ebay pump for my return. But it is for salt water. I'll get a copper test kit just to be sure. Thanks for the help man, your awesome. ;D

7. pjracer

pjracer Peppermint Shrimp

I think its time to add some fish. I have some experiance with gobys. I like the watcmen paired with the pistol shrimp. Most gobys are going to hide. I have had some royal Garmas and they havent lasted long.

Start with a tang. I have 2 and they have been with me since the begining.

If i can give one piece of Key advise befor adding your fish. Check for stray voltage. I found mine a little to late. but its and inexpensive easy fix. Get a ground probe.

Here is the link to a forum to tell you all about stray voltage.
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/general-reef-topics/multimeter-help-86471.html

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

OK... so this might actually be your problem. Used tanks... ugh. You don't really know if they ever dosed copper for any reason. You can not 'clean' it out you have to chemically remove it. It bonds to the silicone :-/

I would get a copper test ASAP and if it tests positive... well, we'll get to that if it happens ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Your PH is fine, close enough IMO. Its more important that it steady than its near that exact 8.3. Also, make sure you always test it in the middle of your photo period, as the lighting can effect your PH readings greatly.
    20 nitrates is not enough to kill the snails. I would also recommend getting a copper test kit. No amount of scrubbing will remove copper if it was used in the tank before you got it. Also, cheap pumps often times use copper and bronze bushings and seals, which will pollute your tank with copper.
    But as said, 20ppm nitrates is not too bad, you'd only have problems with some of the tougher to keep stuff. Did you do a water change after the cycle? Nitrates can linger after cycling due to all the die-off, specially if you used live rock and or sand. Also, your skimmer is on the small size for that large of a tank, as its more suited for something around a 55-75 gallon.
    On a side note, i would ditch those lights or stop running them soon. 6500K lighting in your display is going to start giving you major algae headaches.

1 person likes this.
  11. Craft kid21

Craft kid21 Banned

20 nitrates isnt that bad, i keep mine at 30ppm, i have no problems, no fish have died, and i have alota coral thats growing great!!

12. alexander

It's actually a acrylic tank so no silicone. I also used novus plastic polish (a mild abrasive) to polish out all the scratches in the tank. Does copper bond to acrylic too? I'm going to pick up a copper test kit after work today for sure. Thanks brother.