NITRATE level at 80! help please. Water change to fix?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Rogues, Dec 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Ok – with that being said….follow the advice above. Do a search for “coil denitrifier” and consider a simple 5 gallon bucket refugium. These are two VERY cheap solutions.

If you choose to set up a refugium I will mail you 3 kinds of macro algea’s – shipping is on me. I am very short on time (at work) – but if interested post here and someone will tell you exactly how to set up a cheap DIY refugium using a 5 gallon bucket. PM me when you are ready and I will send you macro’s.

2. Click Here!

3. newbie

newbie Bristle Worm

I hope you taught her well how to care for the tank cause you going to be gone all the time been there good luck to you.

4. newbie

newbie Bristle Worm

i just remembered i have a pro clear wet dry that i could send ya but if she lets the pad get clogged up or stuff (food) or what not get into the balls your in the same boat your in now what company you waiting on to pick you up?

5. Rogues

Rogues Spaghetti Worm

Werner . I'm just getting my year in. Then I'm getting a local job I alrdy have lined up ;D

Quote:

Ok – with that being said….follow the advice above. Do a search for “coil denitrifier” and consider a simple 5 gallon bucket refugium. These are two VERY cheap solutions.

If you choose to set up a refugium I will mail you 3 kinds of macro algea’s – shipping is on me. I am very short on time (at work) – but if interested post here and someone will tell you exactly how to set up a cheap DIY refugium using a 5 gallon bucket. PM me when you are ready and I will send you macro’s.

Crimson Ghost thank you for the offer. I thought I had a Ref though? Isn't the filtration system I have a sump system / Ref? Seen pic's ?

[​IMG]

Clean pad now just pic for ref:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A TAN sponge sits under the egg crate here:

[​IMG]

Water flows through that and into the main sump area.

I threw away the bio balls they were over 2 years old

6. Rogues

Rogues Spaghetti Worm

Love the Denitrifier coil idea but I'd have no idea how to set it up with my current setup. IF it would work for me it'd be great the rest of my tank is a 0 for everything...

7. newbie

newbie Bristle Worm

I would think that thick tan sponge is part of the prob no telling what that thing is holding on to even tho you go the blue pad there something is going to make it past that and get stuck down in the bottom.The first yr is the worst get ready for being used and abused imo start look for a ltl job I work for AAA cooper i wish 13yrs ago when i started i would have gone ltl sooner i wasted 9 yrs over the road the money gets good and then they got ya its hard to leave trucking when they send you to Canada leave the gun at home you will sit in jail if they find it LOL

8. Click Here!

9. Rogues

Rogues Spaghetti Worm

haha they'd have a issue with me ! I used to hand build ak47's afghan style after pressing the flat into a receiver ;D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

anyways better stay on topic :)

10. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

Those floating bio-balls could be a big problem, they work much better out of the water with the drain flowing over them. Also, why are you spending so much on water? I bought a really nice used bulk reef supply RO/Di for what your last trip to wally world cost . . . just something to consider.

I haven't seen a pic with a skimmer in it yet, and the total lack of live rock combined with that nasty looking filtration setup isn't really helping much. You do not have a refugium from what I have seen so far, just a sump with way too much filter pad, mis-placed bio-balls, and a crushed coral detrius trap.

~Will.

11. Rogues

Rogues Spaghetti Worm

yeah well for now i can't do anything so I guess i'll just keep the water up until I can

edit:

Less someone will loan me a ref or something one on an honor system. I do have a job that is going to pay 3500 a month so yeah i'm good for it

12. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Forgive me for not reading the whole thread--I stopped at this post because I had to say something. If someone else already said this, again, I'm sorry.

You state above that you spent $100 on RO water from Walmart. That's insanity!!! Forget for a minute that Walmart has less interest in that water being 0 TDS than you do. Forget that you've invested in vessels to transport the water. Forget the gasoline it takes to get to walmart. Finally, forget that you've carried over 800 pounds of water to your tank from FAR away!!

Do you realize that for another $50 or so, you could own a brand new, top quality RO/DI unit and make the water yourself?

It's not the best financial decision to buy a cow to get a glass of milk. If you can afford to buy water, you can't afford NOT to buy an RO/DI unit for yourself.

As for the nitrates, forgive me for not addressing that question, but when I saw the money you're spending on water, I had to respond.