Nitrate battles

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Cheygirl8, Jun 1, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Cheygirl8

Cheygirl8 Astrea Snail

Ill take a sample over tomorrow when I can, and do a water change, our ac broke so both fish and I are melting but Ill take a look at hermit count see if any of them died but I cannot find any bodies to indicate death .-. but I will check again.

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Agreed. IMOPE, they also tend to start giving false high readings as they age. Given the size of your system and the light bioload, I'd dare to say your nitrate probably isn't anywhere near what you're reading. :) As for the neon goby, you'd be surprised how quickly a few hermits can devour a dead fish, and especially one so small; that's why keep them in our tanks. :)

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

If you are seeing cyano phosphates are present.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  5. Mr. Bill

+1 Cyano (red slime) feeds on phosphates.

If you have it on the decline, you're on the right track. If possible though, I'd recommend vacuuming out all that you can while removing water for a water change; that will help to expedite it's demise. Cyano not only feeds on phosphates, but stores extra and recycles it back into the water when levels drop.

6. Blarghensplargh

Blarghensplargh Astrea Snail

DEFINITELY get new test kits. API test kits, while mostly useless for measuring alk and calcium, are fairly accurate reading ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. They don't have good shelf lives and if you don't know how old it is it could certainly be way off. You can get a API saltwater master kit for $15 or something on Foster and Smith so please do that. You might be chasing a non existent problem.

7. Cheygirl8

Cheygirl8 Astrea Snail

Sorry for late response, I had an interview for a new job today (yay soon I can tinker with the tank more! *ahem* I mean pay my bills first THHHHEEEN tinker XD ) But no there is definitely a problem which I still assume is that rusted clamp. Between my longer armed counterpart boyfriend and myself we have been busy bees trying to get me back and working again, while still being sociable and haven't been able to remove it yet. BUT back to point, the clamp. I keep finding hermit bodies which are definitely contributing to this nitrate problem, but I think bottom line is that it's the toxicity on the poor hermits. So far the fish are staying strong since they eat their shrimps like good little fishies. But I'll add an update again once job matters are sorted and clamp is off. Good news Cyano is dang near gone. just one section of a rock more and poof-ish. The ac broke a couple days ago and the water temp rose to well over than it should have but no boiled fishies. So I think that at least helped in a way kick cyano in the butt.

8. Click Here!

9. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Glad to hear things are moving along for ya. It seems like if you keep a light bioload until you get filtration, etc. figured out, you should be OK.

10. Mr. Bill

Congrats and good luck with the job interview. :)

Now back to business, I strongly suggest making that clamp a priority. It needs to come off ASAP. The metal ions may already be binding to your rock which will cause even more headaches later if allowed to continue.

DSC reef likes this.