Nitrate and Phosphate Help

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by mdbostwick, Jun 4, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

You're absolutely correct, and I did think about the cyano. But my reasoning is this. Cyano can be caused by an excess of carbon. It can also be caused by an excess of nutrients. Since he is not carbon dosing, the current cause of cyano is definitely not the former. It therefore has to be the latter.

Carbon, skim and siphon. I don't believe the test kits. Once thing start improving, if cyano starts coming back, then we can worry about carbon causing cyano.

If you're really worried about it, use vinegar, GAA, or a bottle of Zeostart. They're much less likely to encourage cyano.

2. Click Here!

3. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I couldn't get the full tank shot to load, to big. So this is what it looks like. Yellowish green crap.
    20140605_111640-2.jpg

4. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

It just occurred to me that I've heard/read that slowly raising mag using Kent, up to the 1600 range will kill off algae. Not sure about cyano since it is a bacteria. I'd the pic above after being cleaned? As it is, it doesn't look to bad to me. Jmho.

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

well, to be perfectly honest, I have no idea what that is

6. Pete polyp

Pete polyp Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Me either... Its not the typical slimy cyano. It looks more like film algae from the picture.

Does this stuff form a mat on the sand at all?

The Kent magnesium trick is normally used for bryopsis. I don't know about it working on anything else

7. FeedYourMachine

FeedYourMachine Feather Duster

I wonder if it could be due to old bulbs .I don't know your set up ,are you using T5's that might be getting old bulbs.
    It is an odd looking algae but does remind me of the browning that happens when bulbs get old..

8. Click Here!

9. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

It's green blue cyano without a doubt. Like I've said it came from my tank. I've i don't clean regularly it would take over. I'm not a fan of dosing and never had been. So I battle it with manual removal and water changes.

mdbostwick likes this.
  10. Pete polyp

Pete polyp Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Anyone tried chemiclean or red slime remover?

11. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I wouldn't spend too much energy feeling guilty civic, I my humble opinion, I think any time we add a critter to the tank we are adding thousands of unknown microbes. The average aquarium has from 50,000 to 200,000 bacteria per ml. That doesn't even include all the other microbes present. I think an environment has to be favorable for anything to flourish.

It was introduced into his tank from mine as he added coral, as I have been dealing with it for a very long time.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
    mdbostwick likes this.
  12. tank9127

tank9127 Astrea Snail

Thanks for starting this thread, I have been battling a cyano problem for about 3 months. today I finally took out all of my pumps and powerheads and soaked them in vinegar. I also took out all of my rock and scrubbed them with a brush, stirred up my sand bed. I hope I am on the right track because after today I don't know where to go.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014