Nitrate and cyano

Discussion in 'Algae' started by VitalApparatuz, Mar 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. runmeshawltd

runmeshawltd Plankton

I battled nitrates around 20-30ppm and cyano for over a year. The stuff was growing on my zoas and suffocating other corals i had. I would do the bi-monthly water changes, cut down on feedings, more live rock in the refuge, and even bought a bunch of chaeto to put in there nothing seemed to help to bring down the nitrates and cyano. I even put in a phosban reactor to see if that would help and no go. Then i read an article on about dosing with vodka to get the nitrates and decided what the heck nothing else worked for me. After 2 months of dosing vodka my nitrates are almost at zero and the cyano has definitely subsided. I get alot more skimmate from my skimmer and the water seems to be crystal clear now. Haven't seen any ill effects on my corals and fish i would say they look better than ever. Im super happy with what vodka dosing has done to my tank, man i thought i would never get to this point. I've read that some frown upon this method to reduce nitrates but i swear upon it.