Nice Cheap DIY Overflow

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Covey, Feb 4, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sweden

sweden Plankton

tkz

Now its one moore of these overflow in sweden, Works great to. Im only tried it in a little tank, my real sump is not ready, i use a timer on the returnpump and fake a powerfailure each hour, and the overflow start everytime the returnpump start.
    So thanks for a GREAT idea,
    hope anyone understand my english;D

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Alright Sweden... welcome to 3reef! Glad it worked out for you.

(man this thread must be #1 on Google... check out the views! )

matt

4. mwlude

mwlude Astrea Snail

I made mine and tested it. Just wondering if everything was normal. There was a tornado going into the intake tube and the water level would drop to about 1/2 in above the intake then saybalize. It wouldnt stay at the level that I started the syphon at. Then i put on a 90 degree angle and the water would drop to just below the top of it looking like it was sucking some air and keep running fine with no noise. I tested it without the air check valve installed yet.

5. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

The plumbing in Sweden look pretty sharp. Nice looking grey stuff.
    mwlude it sounds like it is working. Just test it until your sure.

2 people like this.
  6. fidojoe

fidojoe Astrea Snail

I turned the flow down by about 1/3 on my viaaqua 2600 pump running at about 4' of head pressure (approx 350gph wide open at that height). It runs quiet this way. I did end up getting a new tank today. I got a 90g AGA w/ megaflow, so I don't need to use this on the 50g anymore, but I will probably employ it on my 10g qt/frag tank going up this month.

7. aklaum

aklaum Plankton

Hello!

What are the rules for the various lengths of pipe in this design? Everyone who built one just seemed to kind of know. Should it reach the bottom of the tank on the inside? As long as possible? Which pipes should be equal in length? Any info on this would be great!

8. Click Here!

9. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Welcome to 3reef!

The "up and over" legs should be equal. Also the longer the legs the less likely the overflow will lose siphon. I have seen some people build overflows with really short legs and they never seem to work right. The Tee on the outside should be as low as possible ideally right on top of the elbow.

10. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

Well, Covey, you have another convert. I was swayed by the 'yes, it's quiet'
    comment you made. I have been trying to quiet my overflow box with any and every trick for 7 months now. Last night I threw together one and it is so quiet I still have to check it occassionally to make sure it's working!

Thanks,

Mike

11. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Sweet post a pic!

12. Aquayne

Aquayne Plankton

Hello Everyone!
    I cannot believe how far this idea has gone. I designed this thing several months ago and made posts to Reef Central. I am so happy that all of you have enjoyed it and made your own. The ones I make have "gutter Guard" stainers on them to keep animals out of the intake. The reason the siphon break "T" has to be at the same level as the inside "U" is so that there is a bath of water maintained to keep air out of the "Siphon Bridge" that goes up and over the side of the tank.

Glad you all are enjoying this. I at one time made a video of how to make them.

Aquayne
    Wayne Johson
    Logan,WV USA

1 person likes this.