Nice Cheap DIY Overflow

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Covey, Feb 4, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gabriel

Gabriel Astrea Snail

hello again.i have a question:is enough for a 90g aquarium overflow tube of a 1 inch? would have enough flow for a proper filter?

2. Click Here!

3. Gabriel

Gabriel Astrea Snail

help please a need a answer

4. chrisnif

chrisnif Flamingo Tongue

Just to report back I removed mine and went over the joints that were outside of the water with some silicone as there were some minor air leaks, and now I must say it runs PERFECT (I think). I have a pump pushing around 300 gph head adjusted and it keeps up. One thing I notice and I'm not sure if its normal or not, but my DT water level is about 1/2 inch above the top of the pipe, but I've adjusted the pipe height for that, so now it's all "hands off"

5. Donkey

Donkey Bristle Worm

Ok i went ahead and built this. But i am getting the same problems as chris. After a power failure its not starting back up at Full flow its more like a trickle and it takes its time to catch up again. Also i am getting the slurping sound as well. I will check all my joints out for leaks but so far i cant see any. Should i also add a the air valve at the top of the pipe as well ?

Thanks guys
    :-/

6. Pepere

Pepere Plankton

Wich better over or under water outlet ?

Hello everybody, I`m new here and this thread is what give me the chance to discover that site on the web 8)

Just a little question, anybody got an idea if it makes any difference if the outlet of this overflow is over or underwater or not ? I`m thinking about noise from falling water here ?

Any reduction of flow if underwater ? By the way my drop will actually be about 3 feet:-/

Thanks for answering and congrats on the thread :)

Pepere

7. Donkey

Donkey Bristle Worm

Hi pepere

Not sure how much help you will get from the others on this thread. Most of them dont seem to talk about the overflow very much on here now. But for me it seems to work better if the outlet is just above the water. Just try and get it as close to the water as you can without putting it under.

:)

8. Click Here!

9. Pepere

Pepere Plankton

Thanks Donkey,

I know it's a thread that lived quite long !

Anyway thanks for the answer :) Do I understand you are running one yourself ?

I`ll design my sump and syphon as you said

Regards,

Pepere

10. Donkey

Donkey Bristle Worm

Hi Pepere :)

Yes i have just built mine but i was having a few problems with it starting up again after i turned the power off to the pump. I then resealed all my joints on the outside and i have been testing it in two buckets. Its working great now. The only time i get a start up problem now is if i put the out pipe that comes from the tank under the water. But if i have it just above the water in the sump then it starts up fine everytime

And i think by having it just about the water in the sump this will give a better GPH so theres more water going through the sump

;)

11. Gabriel

Gabriel Astrea Snail

a question about this overflow.i build a overflow by 1 inch pipe diameter i put a check valve to trigger overflow but is dont work and i dont know why?

the only way we found is to aspire to pipe the water comes to my mouth and then primed.

Please do not laugh but I have done so.overflow works well even when the pump stops overflow remains primed.valve that we put in the middle above the pipes combining is somehow a place where you put that valve? to work correct.here I refer to priming overflow with a air pump

can you help me with this?

regards Gabriel

12. Pepere

Pepere Plankton