Next tattoos!? Start off my "reef sleve"

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Toallhisdoom, Mar 19, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Id say that most tattoos overall are poorly done. If you are looking to go the color route, you will need an artist that specializes in photorealism. It will be a long process as well. To get a dense color pack that stays means really working the skin for most artists, however the end result is well worth it. Scope for an artist for a long time before you pull the trigger and get anything done. Here is the artist that I settled on for my ocean/coral sleeve.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last one is part of my left sleeve. Ocean tattoos are some of the coolest and intricate that I have seen, but it really takes a good artist to pull it all together. Do your digging for an artist if you go this route. Also, any tattoo artist worth your time will want to slap you refer to tattoos as "tats" or their tattoo machine as a "gun." :p

2. Click Here!

3. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Heres a few pics I'm working off of to give you some more variety if you want some more ideas.

I like the ying yang style but I'm having my artist incorporate clown fish into it, also hes drawing one up using psychedelic mandarin, and a green spotted mandarin.

Attached Files:

4. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

5. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Lol I wanted to say something but you Beat me to it. Grew up around shops and a lot of good artists. That was a big no no.
    Norg, your 100% right about finding someone that can really dig that color in. If you don't get the color in well enough it will pull out when the tattoo heals. I want to emphasize what you already said. You want to shop around for a good artist. Check out all his work and make sure it is the same style as what you are looking for. You don't want to be someone's ginny pig to try something they haven't really done before. Ive seen some pretty bad work before. Be very picky with the artist because this is a permanent addition to your body.

6. diverdan

BTW Norg, your owl looks awesome! I really like the white, really pulls it all together.

7. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

You definitely don't want an artist that does work like this:

[​IMG]

I like your gf's design a lot. You should definitely get it ;)

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I know I'm being naive, but can you help me understand that the artist will want to slap you? just curious. I also thought those "tats" were very cool looking ;)

I have no tatoos, I'm pretty wimpy when it comes to pain. I really do like them and several of my girlfriends have gotten some. Good luck on finding a good artist since it sounds like that's the most important. If they are a true artist, I would think they could give you a sketch as well. Your gf's is awesome and I think that would look good with what you currently have.

10. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Thanks man! I appreciate it. This artist is a little crazy. He doesnt like to tattoo for anything less than 8 hours at a time. He will tattoo for as long as you can sit. Which is great if you really want to get something done.

Well, tattooing is an art that has been practiced for an extremely long time. To acknowledge it as anything less than an art form, equal to painting or sculpting for example, is unfair. Tattooing and tattoo artists generally get a pretty bad reputation. With tattoos like the one that Cam posted its understandable but there are also lots of professionals that take their job very seriously. To call a tattoo they have done a "tat" is demeaning to professional. Same thing with calling a tattoo machine a "gun." Crappy tattoo artists are a dime a dozen unfortunately and even though the art is growing and becoming more accepted the best work is done by an elite few. In my opinion if you are going to go all out with getting tattooed, get tattooed by someone with this skill level.

By the way I have been pretty involved in the tattoo industry for a while. One of my best friends is a talented artist and my ex girlfriend worked at a tattoo shop as well. Besides that I have 15 tattoos and planning for many more. Good luck with whichever path you choose man. When you settle on an artist do us a favor and post his work on this thread. ;D

11. diverdan

Couldn't have said it any better. Yes tattooing is an art. It might not be liked or understood by some but it is an art none the less.
    I myself have 14 different pieces and done by several different artists, and growing up around and in studios has made me appreciate the talent, hard work and dedication the good artists have.
    I wish you the best, good luck and post pics when it's don't.

And 8 hours in a chair is a long time. I had 6 getting my side done and that was the worst. Not to mention one of the toughest places to get it done.

12. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

I am just gonna buy my gf a tattoo machine. She aprenticed in a tattoo shop for a while but they were basically just using the free labor. She is a talented artist tho. So ill get her a machine(bday is in may) and some of that fake skin and see how she does.

here is some of her work.

Attached Files: