Newbie with questions...

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Fishish, Jan 19, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

Fishish,
    Welcome to 3Reef! All the advice everyone is giving you is probably the best advice you can get. The important thing is be patient, do research, patients & patients. No question is a dump question and always ask for advice from members here. The hobby can be expensive and sometimes going cheaper isn't always the best. You can end up buying something that is cheaper then the next product and realize it isn't working for you or broke down after a short time. You end up buying the next best product or the product you should of bought in first place. It was like that for me on lighting and went with something that I thought was great just to replace it not even a year later because it wasn't what I liked and went with the one I originally wanted that cost me a little more.

I also have a 36G tank and my tank has taken off since I joined this site. I look at my tank now and realize it was from great advice from here, research, patients and trial and error. I spend hours in the past on YouTube, reading articles and reading posts from members here to gain the information you need. Take things slow!

As for myself in my 36G tank I only have 4 fishes. The more you add the chances are it will be crowded. Some fishes shouldn't belong in a smaller tank and need the room and you also have to watch the aggressive fish. In my tank I have a small flame angel, bicolor blenny, yellow tail damsel and gold band clown fish. My favorites are the flame angel because of the beautiful color and how it swims all over the place and the bicolor blenny. The bicolor blenny is a fun fish to watch because how it bounces back and forth from rock to rock grazing then dives back in its little cave. I was told from my LFS I will love the fish and he was 1000% correct! I have 2 small extra powerheads in my tank. One is to move water on top of tankto get the oxygen going and 2nd one is to create water movement from a different direction that causes a wave movement in tank.

Remember to be patient, research and enjoy your tank!

2. Click Here!

3. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

So when I bought my skimmer it was rated for 180 gallons on my 55, now its rated for 180 on a 150 total volume. Just take our word for it, you'll be upgrading...

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

your tank looks really good! love the coralline covered rock - that will hopefully spread. I had a 54 corner and used a HOB reef octopus - it worked really well. You may want to inquire about skimmers with the nano crowd in terms of a good one that is on the smaller side. The one I used I think would be too big for your tank.

5. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

The old skimmer I have on my 36G tank was made for 100G+ tank.. It works great and does a great job! I was told many, many years ago to get a skimmer that is made for a tank 2x-3x more then your actual tank.

I have it hidden behind the side of the cabinet so its out of view but easy access for me.

Going back to your livestock question: If you plan to keep the 2 damsels you might have problems adding certain fish. Damsels can be very aggressive and adding 2 clown fish might be a problem. What I remember clown fish are in the damsel family so there might be a problem. I had a blue damsel and eventually I traded him to my LFS for a yellow tail blue damsel, The yellow tail damsel is not as aggressive and looks just as nice.

My recommendation is to eventually trade in the blue damsels and get a pair of clown fish if that is what you want. From there you can add one or two more fishes that aren't very aggressive.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  6. Fishish

Fishish Plankton

Oryo, thanks for that! I think being patient will most certainly be my biggest challenge. I will have to get another hobby to keep my out of trouble with this one haha. I do appreciate all the advise.

The two things i want to purchase next are the protien skimmer and new lighting.

I think i am confused about the protien skimmer size for my tank. I would much rather spend a little extra money to get the right skimmer.. but i am getting conflicting messages about sizes.

I would really love to get a blue maxima clam at some point but i know they require extra lighting & food.

Oryo likes this.
  7. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

I hear that the Reef Octopus skimmers are great but can be expensive.

I'm not sure to be honest what the recommendation is on size versus gallons of tank but I was told 2X to 3X more of what the tank size is. I had this skimmer for ages and works great for my 36G tank.

On lighting you need to decide if you go with corals in future you might want to purchase the lighting for it now before you buy something that you're eventually going to upgrade.

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I would follow the advise as far as others are giving in terms of size (getting a skimmer that is rated for a larger than your size tank) - I just know that the one I had would be too big for your tank - I'm sure there are smaller, quality HOB skimmers that aren't quite as physically large as the reef octopus I had. I feel like I just rambled there - hopefully that made some sense :)

10. Fishish

Fishish Plankton

so for my 36g tank getting the Reef Octopus Classic 100 (suitable for up to 105g) is not too large? i guess its about 2.5 times my size tank...

I think i will eventually go with corals... i'll do some research on lighting and get back to ya'll with clarification questions if need be!
    Thanks again everyone, you are so so helpful!

11. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

I hate being patient

Fishish likes this.
  12. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Another one hooked! Welcome aboard. As far as skimmers go, bigger is always better. There is a wide range of levels of expertise on here to fall back on and do it yourselfers up to people that pay out the wazoo on new equipment. I started with a 55gal and a canister filter. I didn't even know what a sump or protein skimmer was until I found this site. Good luck in your venture!

edit: I saw a post regarding different types of fish for your tank. My favorite little fish that's packed with personality is the Flame Hawkfish.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015