Newbie with questions...

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Fishish, Jan 19, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fishish

Fishish Plankton

Thanks for the advise everyone!

Corailline likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

ReefBruh, mdbostwick and Corailline like this.
  4. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

ReefBruh likes this.
  5. Fishish

Fishish Plankton

I'll have to check when i get home... i have a notebook with it all written down. i plan on testing for Salinity, pH, nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia again tonight. (after work)

I don't have a test that will check Alk, Cal, and NO3.... are those things i should be testing for regualarly?

6. mdbostwick

NO3 is Nitrate. If you are doing fish and no coral you don't really need to monitor your calcium but Alkalinity will help you in keeping the pH steady.

7. mdbostwick

Also what brand test kits you use is important.

8. Click Here!

9. Fishish

Fishish Plankton

I am currently doing a Fish Only Tahnk
    The test kit i use is called Saltwater Master Test Kit by API...

Here at the stats:
    temp: 77.5 currently (it goes up about 1 degree during the day)
    Nitrate: 0ppm
    Nitrite:0ppm
    pH:8.0
    Ammonia:0ppm
    Salinity: 30ppt

*I pointed the blower more up about two days ago... both fish are not breathing heavily!*

ReefBruh and civiccars2003 like this.
  10. Amphibious

Amphibious Plankton

Sounds like you've got things under control as far as the heavy breathing goes. welcome to the hobby and 3Reef. You have taken the first step in what, for me has been a long journey of discovery. I set my first marine tank up in 1966, so that means, OMG, 49 years ago. The first thing I’d inform you is there is no end to the learning curve. Over the long haul it does flatten out some but the technology is always changing so you keep learning. I’m 77 years young and learn something fishy or coral wise every day.

I would advise you to research everything before making a decision or buying anything. This is an expensive hobby and mistakes will cost you more than money, heartache, too. The Internet of course is a great asset for information but there is sooo much clutter amongst the good information, which can you rely on as accurate? That’s one problem, here’s one answer. This link - http://theculturedreef.com/education.html - goes to a page with several great articles on keeping fish and corals healthy. It’s a starting point.

Dick

Corailline and mdbostwick like this.
  11. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

That should bring your PH up as well.FWIW I haven't tested my PH in about 7 years.:)
    As long as your water chemistry is ok ph should be as well.Atmospheric conditions inside ones home play a role in ph levels though as well.When you run the air or heat (especially gas heat)co2 levels inside will rise causing a drop in ph.Some people have even piped the air inlet of their skimmer to receive outside air.:cool:
    Overstocking can also produce low O2 levels.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    ReefBruh and Corailline like this.
  12. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I would add my 2 cents, but it appears everyone has covered most of it!

So, I will say welcome! You've found a great group of folks that love to help! Ask as many questions as you can, none of them will be silly, I promise.

ReefBruh, Corailline and mdbostwick like this.