newbie to sumps. how do i complete this tank?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by banthonyb71, Jul 14, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I don't know if this was to my reply or not, but my issue with the box he has it does not have a separate section where water is trapped like on an Eshopps. If that bulkhead leaked you would lose siphon.

2. Click Here!

3. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

4. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Not necessarily in response to your post, but letting the OP know that the box if fine if he wants to use it. IMHO, there's no real difference...if either bulkhead leaks, losing siphon will be the least of your worries until the pump shuts off and/or the water level in the DT drops below the teeth.

The OP could always add a little baffle to the existing overflow if he/she wants to do so, but all that really buys you is being able to pull the drain hose (I can't recall ever pulling a drain hose, to be honest) without re-starting the siphon, but starting the siphon is easy, and the OP can save $60 - $110 (depending on model) by not buying a new overflow.

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Greg, you are spot on. I really meant where the PVC fits into the bulkhead, not the bulkhead itself. That was my concern. But I think you hit all of the issues/concerns.

6. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Thanks bigwhiteboybob. I love detailed explanations. Thanks Greg, Marshall, and everyone else for that matter. By the way...that overflow set up looks eerily simular to mine. If yours works without break...then mine should too right? I have the flex hose and u parts as well. But i was thinking the flex tube was for exit into the sump?

7. bigwhiteboybob

bigwhiteboybob Astrea Snail

precisely. yours should work fine and if theres a leak don't sweat just retighten everything and give it another go. worst comes to worst your LFS should have new o-rings if yours fail. or you could spend the dollar and put a notch on your belt for preventive maintenance and get it out of the way now. and the flex hose is exit to the sump you are correct.