Newbie that needs help!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Kadbure18, Aug 25, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kadbure18

Kadbure18 Plankton

im just going to stock moderately not to over populate the tank. :)

2. Click Here!

3. Dman

Dman Astrea Snail

If you just hang a tube over the aquarium it will lose prime anytime the pump goes off. You can drill it or get an overflow box. Also where your return comes in, it will drain down to the outlet when the pump goes off unless you drill a little hole in it higher up. That's what I did to keep it from overfilling my sump because I could only fit a 20gal sump under my stand. I also shut off my pump at feeding time. You would have to reprime the return everyday with just a tube hanging over the top.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Do not rely on a small hole for a siphon break.Positioning the pipe close to the waterline is the only sure fire way to avoid a flood.

Billme likes this.
  5. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

question about the return pump. do i need a overflow tank or can i use one of them flexible pipe to the aquariumaquarium

Just so we are speaking the same language (no pun), the return is the pump that goes from the sump back into the display tank. On this you will not need an overflow. You can use vinyl tube from the return pump then nosles attach to that tube that hang over the edge of the tank. The nosles are slightly under water. You will find that when you turn off your return pump, that water will siphon back down the tube into the sump. Eventually, when the water in the display tank gets low enough, air will get into the tube and the siphon will stop(water stops flowing back down the tube). You can adjust the amount of water that flows back by how high the noodles are in the display. The closer the nosles are to the surface of the water in the display, the sooner the air stops the back siphon. You can also drill holes in the tank for the return.
    The overflow is for the water that goes from the display to the sump.

6. Dman

Dman Astrea Snail

If you do use tubing I recommend using black tubing

7. Kadbure18

Kadbure18 Plankton

thanks guy i have purchased a loc line. for the return pump (603gph)
    now shopping for a WaveMaker JVP-200A by Sunsun (1320gph)

is this sufficient?

8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

To go back to the skimmer thing

I understand budget reefing, that what my past 4 years in the hobby has been. But part of being on a budget is knowing when to make a good investment. An example: spending $200 on a cheaper skimmer for a year then having to spend $400 on a nice skimmer once you're really into it will still cost you more than buying the $400 skimmer right off the bat.

Personally I would avoid using tubing and would rather drill and use PVC, looks much more sleek and professional. the tubing may be cheaper now, but what happens when you decide that you want PVC a year from now? You'll spend that money anyways.

As far as a return pump, I can't be of much help as I'm not familiar with pumps for anything past 30 gallons.

10. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

now shopping for a WaveMaker JVP-200A by Sunsun (1320gph)

I had trouble finding any reviews on that power head. I prefer to take a look at others experience with a new product. The reason it's important is that a power head can cause a lot of problems. It can leak electricity and that's a problem in salt water. It can even catch fire or melt in the aquarium. Jabao has some reviews. May cost more, I don't know, but you'll have a better idea what you are getting and be aware of potential problems.

11. Kadbure18

Kadbure18 Plankton

Thanks va reef and billme il definitely take that into consideration. As for now I back to shopping I guess hahaha looking for a overflow too. Looking around but still really have to consider my budget

12. Kadbure18

Kadbure18 Plankton

Saltwater Aquarium Project, 65 gallon - Overflow …:

Guys check this out

Billme likes this.