Newbie: setting up a biocube 29 reef tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by aness2323, Sep 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. paul21

paul21 Plankton

hi back at ya another question. day one just little amonia tested figure it came with carribean sand no nitrites nor nitrates . day 2 see more nitrites na starting to see nitrates figure it from lr i added in morning it test in evening sg is go by way day 3 nice jump on nitrites and alson on nitrates so did i miss the amonia spike cause of live sand and rock . oh should i have started a new thread or is this one fine i noticed it was started like 2011

2. Click Here!

3. paul21

paul21 Plankton

here are the three day test results 110 being first day no lr just sand 414 being second day lr added and last is day three hows it look

Attached Files:

4. paul21

paul21 Plankton

pic of day three 20 pounds lr 30lbs sand and a recirculating pump at bottom same side as the pump outlet just on bottom to try to not have any dead spots i guess i wont get a amonia spike as bacteria is alrdy present in sand and lr so maybe i just need to watch the nitrite and nitrates to determine when to ad a nemo oh alrdy added 15 blue leg guess u call em hermit crabs they in a shell little things lol thanks

Attached Files:

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

It's certainly possible with all the live rock. That is why I do that way. Keep giving the tank organic matter, fish food to further establish the biological filter, the bigger the better. If this is your 1st tank give the tank at least two weeks before adding fish and only one fish at a time unless you want a pair of clowns. After you add a fish continue to test daily for another week, do water changes if you see an detectable ammonia or nitrites, feeding sparingly so you do not overwhelm the biological filter.

It would probably be a good idea if you do start your own build thread Paul. That way you can track your tanks progress. All the cool kids do that way. :cool:
    Seriously though a tank goes through modifications, and a lot of changes.

6. PepperDeath

PepperDeath Feather Duster

How's this tank coming along? I have a biocube 29 as well. I would ditch the foam and the bio balls. Slowly since your already up and running..if you have any questions feel free to ask. I have done a lot of mods on my tank

7. SJW

SJW Plankton

Hello.. Reading up about placing a pinch of dry food in every other day to initiate the bio filtration. With that, then test and determine levels? I have reserved a nice piece of live rock with some small basic corals and hope to add within 3 weeks? I also just started my biocube 29 with 18lbs of pre cured live rock, about 20 lbs of Arginine and pre mixed store water. I added the 3 step In Tank filtration and running a mini skimmer... Any advice would be great!.. Thank u.

cody3819 likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

Be patient and read, that's the best advice to give. Everything in this hobby takes time. I have a 29G biocube as well, so if you need help we will be here. This is a great place with very nice and knowledgeable people. I'm very new into the hobby as well, but these guys have helped a ton. So I guess my advice, taking the long way around lol, is knowledge of know the coral you either want or just got.... And take your time don't rush, noting good happens over night in this hobby.