Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Bears78, Aug 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

I'd call the LFS and ask about the water. Phrase things along the lines of "I know set-up is included, so that means water too, right?" Maybe you'll be pleasantly suprised. Otherwise, they can probably bring the water with them. I have 3 LFS here in Richmond that can all deliver hundreds of gallons of water to those who wish to purchase it with their tank delivery. If you are thinking of using tap water to start your tank (and I think most here would recomend against this) bring a sample of your tap water to the shop and get it tested for nitrate, nitrite, pH, copper, and phosphates. That way you'll have some clue heading in how much of a problem you may be pouring in with the tap water.

2. Click Here!

3. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

It isn't even 75 gal but more because of the sump and skimmer. I will say that from my LFS store it costs 30 cents a gall and before I had a RO unit that was the cheapest I could find. I got 12 gal jugs from walmart and would take them in and have them filled when I need to do a water change. It was a pain and my LFS would giggle each time I came in. But I finally got my RO unit and it was a god send! Makes it so much easier especially if you have an emergancy and need to do a water change in the middle of the night. Make sure you have extra water just in case!

Congrats and take pictures as they are setting up so we can see the whole process!

1 person likes this.
  4. Bears78

Bears78 Plankton

Thanks for the info, I went to my LFS yesterday and pretty much used that phrase, the guys said that they had already discussed with the owner about throwing the water in with the setup so don't worry. Also I spoke with them about changing my skimmer "mini g" and they talked about changing it to a G1 but I didn't have enough room underneath. One idea was to hang it on the side of the sump but that was quickly knocked down due to possible spillage. One of the guys said his 120 tank is actually run by a mini g so I should be ok. They actually called me again today to confirm saying they met with the manager and they said the mini should be plenty since it can handle up to an 80 gallon tank.

Lastly they had to change delivery dates for next week since the live rock didn't come in yet...SOOO it's going to be a long weekend!:(

5. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

That's fantastic. I just got a bid on a tank (and it's a big project) and they quoted water at $1 per gallon so you saved enough for a nice piece of livestock. Just be patient before you add it to the tank.

6. Bears78

Bears78 Plankton

Yeah I'm very pleased with the customer service I'm getting! As for patience they told me that I need to wait at least a month before I introduce anything to the tank so it can complete a full cycle. I don't know if that's too long or what but I will follow their advice. One piece of good news is that they are going to deliver my tank and stand tonight... in an hour to be exact! The guys at my LFS suggested I paint the outside of my tank instead of adding the back stick on sheet due to potential bubbles, water and wear and tear, says it will looks much better. So I have some aqua blue paint that I'm going to add on and see how it comes out.

They are going to deliver it tonight and put it in my garage so I can paint it, and when they come back next week they'll move it to the location that I want before they set it up...man I love these guys!!!;D

I'll send before and after pics of the tank this weekend!

7. Bears78

Bears78 Plankton

So I decided to have my LFS delivery my tank and stand so I can start some prep work. Not much just spray painted the back (outside) of the tank. Here's a few pics, they come Tuesday or Thursday when the live rock gets in to set it up. As for the spray paint, it came out well I put 4 coats on it didn't realize how messy spray paint was got over everything...nothing a lil soap and water can't get up.

Go Bears!!!

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Right on dude. You are going to have fun. And now you can upgrade someday and use this 75g as the sump!!!! You'll be saving money. And you have already learned how to keep the cost vewy vewy secwet....lol.....There are too many of us that do that!!!! The next thing you'll hear is, "I didn't think this hobby would take so much time". Then you'll say, "Oh no honey, once the tank gets going, it will take care of itself.". Then, three months down the road, you start a nano. The main tank isn't finished, but it will be.....soon. And so will the nano, not as soon as the main, but soon. Ooooooooh it goes on and on.

I told my wife I was going to get my Cutlass up and running again today. Another project. I was just kidding, but you should have seen the look on her face. Priceless.

10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Oh, and look up RKMS. Here, on the forums, not google.

11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

My LFS will give out 10 or so gallons per day per customer. The guy is nice to me because I drive an hour to trade with them so they let me leave with 20g. When ever I am there, I pick some up whether I need it or not. I had 40 gallons stored up last week. Turned out I needed it. So whether it's from your house or from the LFS, get stored in pales or garbage cans. K+ for that piece of advice. So very important. Keep some mixed with salt and some not. You may need both.

You have a prime opportunity here. I would love to see it.

Peace.......John.

1 person likes this.
  12. reefman1132

reefman1132 Skunk Shrimp

I saw that you said how they included a filter system. Since you said its going to be a reef there is no better filtration than a good skimmer, LR and LS, and water changes. So depending on what your going to do you many not even need that filter. You also said you will have a 4'' LS bed. When you do that you can create a stagnant area which can defeat the purpose of LS i'm sur other members will have some helpful opinions. BTW did we mention about pics?! lol XD

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008