Newbie mistake!!

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by ChulaVista Reef, Feb 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

saying i'm against quarantine is like saying I'm against aids research or something like that. Just because I have never used one doesn't mean I'm against them. I think a fish, especially larger, has more of a chance of falling ill in a 10 gallon qt than in a healthy established tank

2. Click Here!

3. ChulaVista Reef

ChulaVista Reef Plankton

That's pretty funny. I do enjoy reading all of the views of the more experienced reefers.

4. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Im not sure what your fish have without pictures. My fish got Ich 3 times after i first started my tank. I gave them selcon soaked food, garlic soaked food and Cyclopeze. They all fought off Ich naturally several times. It has not come back since.

I believe the best way to fight it is through proper diet and good water parameters. Also providing them with natural trace elements along with vitamin c and Omega-3 will help.

Its also good to have copepods and other pods they can snack on. I add marinesnow and phytoplankton to keep my copepod population up. They snack on copepods all day long which are a fresh source of food with ton of Omega-3.

Remember that some fish have very weak immune systems and will stress in a tank, they will not survive no matter what.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  5. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Ah yes, the garlic issue. Well, I researched that until I couldn't take anymore and I came away with the conclusion that there is no "actual" proof it works and no real proof it doesn't. Just like people, I take 900 mg a day of a garlic supplement because I have read empirical data that supports the claims made for it so I would contend that it "should" contribute the a fishes health. I do use it as part of my fishes food rotation, I use the cubes that have garlic in them. So, it won't hurt your fish so use it if you want.

6. connemark

connemark Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I am very picky when it comes to picking out a fish. Currently I have a 6 line green chromi immortal damsel scooter blenny and brown tang. The damsel came with several problems that cleared up overtime. Everything else appeared to my eyes to be very healthy when bought. The tang had me worried but it is doing fine now. I guess the point is to buy healthy animals. I personally believe a QT tank is not necessary if the tank is in good working order.

7. abraKADAV3R!

abraKADAV3R! Feather Duster

I got flukes when I first set up my tank it was the worst thing ever...keep your fish in the QT for like a month and a half so anything fish hosting in the tank will starve...I also had fish lice in my tank, when i took out the fish the lice would crawl the glass looking for food and starved