NEWBIE by Brut force from Santa!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by gtrasper, Dec 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

go with good MH then when you see that great coral you don't have to say "we can't have that cause daddy didn't get the good lights". It is well worth it in the long run.

2. Click Here!

3. gtrasper

gtrasper Astrea Snail

4. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

5. gtrasper

gtrasper Astrea Snail

Well here it is 1 month after the initial setup! To all the newbies, in 1 month my system has made some pretty incredible changes. First it looks like nothing is happening, then it looks like something is going wrong because everything turns a brown color in some crazy ways and then it starts to slowly clear and some wonderful colors start to shine. It is an incredible transformation to watch. I liked it so much that I am going to start a second system 36 gal just so I can watch it happen again. This time I will understand what is happening with out the panic. Like everyone on this site will tell you, take your time and go slow it will happen! Once I get the lighting squared away corals here I come!

6. gtrasper

gtrasper Astrea Snail

Saturday Morning coffee water test.
    Specific Gravity is at 1.021 almost 1.022
    Ammonia 0
    Calcium 480
    KH 9
    Phosphate 0
    Nitrate 10
    Temp is a constant 80 F

I was planning a partial water change this weekend, but is it really necessary?
    Also since my system has been running since 12/25/08 am I ready for live stock or should I wait to be safe.

7. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

I would wait another couple days, test in 3 days and if your ammonia and your nitrite are zero, then go ahead...and i would also try to raise your SG a lil,something along the lines of 1.025 is ideal..

8. Click Here!

9. gtrasper

gtrasper Astrea Snail

I thought that was low, but no one responded to it. Where do the corals like the SG?

10. gtrasper

gtrasper Astrea Snail

11. gtrasper

gtrasper Astrea Snail

Strange thing today when I got home, all the glass in my aquarium was covered in micro bubbles. Is something wrong or what??? very strange. any suggestions.