NEWBIE by Brut force from Santa!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by gtrasper, Dec 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

the nitrites and ammonia turn into nitrates. then they get eliminated by filtering, skimming, water changes and not over feeding. it's very common with a fish only tank to run 0-80ppm of nitrates. don't do any water changes to get rid of them just yet. let that tank fully cycle. :)

it'll change many different colors and have different things growing during and after the cycle. look really closely at the rock and you might be able to see really really small ant looking things. this tells you it's going good.

2. Click Here!

3. gtrasper

gtrasper Astrea Snail

Well this evenig I noticed that the sand is starting to change color. It is starting to have some brown color like my LR. Even my LR is almost completely covered in it now.

1 person likes this.
  4. mile high reefer

mile high reefer Fire Shrimp

5. TORMENTOR

TORMENTOR Bristle Worm

Man, I'm excited for you, I don't even have my tank set up yet and I get goosebumps when I read a new tank build thread. Good luck and keep us posted, as I will be watching this post daily.

Rich

6. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

i feel your pain. when I first started I went crazy looking at nothing so I bought some blue leg hermit crabs and they made it. they were only a buck so how could you go wrong. better then watching algae grow. I also waited 6 weeks before adding any fish. good luck and welcome.

7. surfrgirl61187

surfrgirl61187 Skunk Shrimp

The brown stuff growing on your sand and LR is normal.. Just let it do its thing.. It will go away.. I am really enjoying this thread.. I just started reading it today.. It makes me feel excited for you :D!! When we started ours we waited about a month before we put anything in our tank.. and that was just a few hermit crabs.. Well except for LR and a peace of shrimp to cycle it.. we took the shrimp out before adding the crabs..lol.. I know how you feel.. Looking into an empty tank can be a little frustrating :/... but before you know it you will have a beautiful peace of ocean sitting in your living room :D!! Just be patient.. that is one important thing to learn in this hobby.. It will save you a lot of money!! Also, I agree with the person who suggested the aqua c remora protein skimmer!! It is really good.. We have one on our 26gal.. We had a sea crap... and got tired of it doing nothing and replaced it with the remora.. It is well worth the extra money..!! Well good luck.. I will continue reading this thread.. and chime in when I can.. Good luck..!

P.S. You should post some pics even when the tank is all brown.. We like pics.!!

8. Click Here!

9. gtrasper

gtrasper Astrea Snail

Thanks to everyone for the great responses. I tried loading pics but they keep failing. The one picture in my album is the only one that went up. this is the rock that is now cover in the brown which is pretty cool.

10. getinpora

getinpora Coral Banded Shrimp

hello and welcome to 3reef

11. reef4girl

reef4girl Feather Duster

Welcome and goodluck with your new tank. I am a newbie too!

12. gtrasper

gtrasper Astrea Snail

Thanks again to everyone. Today has been another exciting day, I arrived today to see that my LR has turned a golden color and to my surprise as I looked over my tank and I even tried to take a picture a little white looking flower appear on one of the rocks. That is exciting in my eyes! One of the LR rocks has a green hair forming very light but its there and holding micro air bubbles, is this good? The green stuff is growing on a part of the rock that it was sitting on. With all the natural growth that is happening in the tank I am feeling like I am on my way!

PS: My son Vinnie who received this gift from Santa is also excited!

HO HO HO I am so excited!