NEWBIE by Brut force from Santa!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by gtrasper, Dec 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gtrasper

gtrasper Astrea Snail

Sunday morning and I can see how a newbie could easyly jump in getting some fish or something to watch in the tank. My tank is still crystal clear and looking for some action. I tossed in some fish food into the tank to get the cycle started.

I have one quick question to all - my LFS said that checking for Amonia was not necassary? I see everyone checking and double checking on this site. I am in information overload!

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

The only reason Nh3 is checked, is to see how far down you are in the cycle. Luna

4. Beamerhack

Beamerhack Coral Banded Shrimp

I would test it, I personally loved watching the levels raise and fall. It gives you chance to see yout tanks high and low of each level and you get used to testing. No better way to "Feel" your tank out in my opinion. I tested the whole cycle and I knew what day it would finished by using basic math. You will see ammonia first then Nitrite finishing with some Nitrates. I saw huge spikes in all 3 stages and I think it was a great learning lesson on how long it can take a tank to truely "Cycle".

Edit:

I have lost only a snail the whole tank so far and letting the tank cycle completely, Wait the cycle out it will just save you money in the long run and you wont have any fish croking

5. gtrasper

gtrasper Astrea Snail

Happy New Year! and thanks to everyone the tank is one its way!

6. whookid570

whookid570 Plankton

7. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Welcome to 3reef! :wave:

Sound like your off to a good start, other than that protein skimmer. I HAD one. It's in a box full of old junk like the other p.o.s. skimmer Jebo. Do yourself a favor and buy an AquaC Remora....works GREAT on 55's! That's what I had to start with.

Check your ammonia at about week 3 then at week 4 again...you'll know when it's done...

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

also, before you get further into the cycle add more rock. put in about 50# more and it can be the dry base rock. doesn't have to be live rock

10. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

11. gtrasper

gtrasper Astrea Snail

Well today's test results are:

Temp 75 F
    Salinity .020
    CA2 480
    KH 10
    PO .5
    NO3 20
    It does not look like much of a change from last week other then I lowered the temp 3 by degrees and KH changed by a value of 10.

I am not sure what I am really watching for. I now the nitrites are bad and would like to get them lower not sure how to make that happen.

Like I said before, I can see how a newbie can get a little agresive and go out and by some livestock. Its kind of hard sitting here watching my rock grow hair.

12. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

right now the only thing you should be watching for is ammonia, nitrite and nitrates (cycle) when the first 2 are reading zero and you see no spikes...then you're ready for some livestock!!