newbie 2 sumps. Need Help

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by banthonyb71, Jan 27, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

The first sump/fuge I installed and I've got a couple questions. I got this sump used at an estate sale. its 20g on a 46 bow. I'm kinda questioning the design of it. I don't understand while there is only 2 baffles instead of 3 for the bubble trap and why the raised baffle is so high.. I'm also wondering why they left so little room for the skimmer or for a future skimmer upgrade. assuming the skimmer was intended to be next to the drain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How do I slow flow through the fuge area? Isnt this suppose to be low flow area?

Can the baffles be removed without damaging the acrylic? (not worried cosmetically speaking)

Should I redesign it to make the middle baffle 1" off the ground and add a baffle on the other side?
    was there a intended design of the way its set up?

Should I add filter socks to the drain side? Whats the best way to go about this.

using 1' plumbing, is this pump enough for desired tank turn over per hour? I'm dont understand the formula other than 6 to 10x per hour.
    Eheim 1260 Universal Pump (640 GPH)

ps.. no I am not using the prism skimmer. lol

2. Click Here!

3. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Am, I like posting in the wrong threads or something? 2nd post in a row thats been completely ignored. I didn't see a sump section so I posted to the next closest thing I seen. Is anyone even seeing this?

4. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I am seeing the post. I actually looked at it earlier but don't really have any advice that would help. Bump for you though.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Sorry I can not be of any assistance, I can not even begin to guess why they designed the sump that way other than it was one of those pre-built designer sumps like the ones you see in the link below.

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/aquariums/sumps/trigger-systems-sumps

Change the name of the thread to be more specific, like Need Assistance with Sump Design.

This forum or the equipment one seems ok.

I'll try to send some assistance this way or bump the thread.

6. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Am, I like posting in the wrong threads or something? 2nd post in a row thats been completely ignored. I didn't see a sump section so I posted to the next closest thing I seen. Is anyone even seeing this?

7. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Thank You both..

by the way....the blue sticker looks like a factory water line sticker. but I know its atleast been altered on the return side because of the silicone...not sure about the rest.