New Zoa's closed

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by jfenton954, Feb 19, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jfenton954

jfenton954 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hi I got a new frag of zoa's at a lfs and they were open and very nice. When I brought them home I put them in my tank about medium height in the tank. There was a small power head gently pushing water to them far away and only two would open so after a week I moved them a little lower and a place with a lot lower flow thinking that was bothering the rest. Now none of them open. I have a new reef breeders photon light that at the peak is 60% but the zoa's don't open at all. I didn't dip them cause I ran out of dip. Water levels are a ok. Not sure why they looked so good at the store and not in my tank.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424356528.750901.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I see a patch of tubes on the front of that rock; if those are vermatids, they could be irritating the zoas with their feeding webs. You might also want to check at night for zoa predators such as sundial snails, sea slugs, asterina stars, etc.

Corailline likes this.
  4. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

What Bill said. How did you acclimate them? They may just need some time.
    Also, please post water parameters, as opposed to saying they are okay.

5. jfenton954

So the pic above has 0 polyps left and I have another frag that one polyp opens and another looks like it is disintegrated.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425323805.776591.jpg

6. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

What are your water parameters? Any Temperature swings? Any coral near them, coral warfare? Did you check them at night to see if there were any critters bothering them? Is anything else in the tank declining since these started to decline?

7. jfenton954

Water is ok been doing a 20% water change a week. Nothing near them at all. I didn't check them at night I will do that though. Everything else seems fine. They closed up and just got like a red slime on them. One colony disappeared and now just these two polyps left which one only opens.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Frankly I would not read too much into it. Like Mr.Bill suggested check for the usual suspects. Some Zonathids just melt and die away, I know I have had it happen to me when everything else in the tank was completely fine. If I notice that Zoanthids or Palys are struggling though a dip is a good idea.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

what dip do you recommend?

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Personally I like Iodine (Lugols) for pretty much anything but smooth skin acropora. I have not tried the Revive or Coral Tx on zoanthids but I would. Haven't you tried Furan?

12. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

Zoanthids are one of the hardest corals I have ever tried to keep. They are very picky when it comes to placing them in the tank. If you placed them up on the rocks when you first brought them home I believe you burned them. The reef breeders light can be very powerful depending how deep you tank is. Zoanthids can handle a lot of light but they need a slow aclimation. If you decide to try again, start the zoanthids on the sand, every week move them into a slightly brighter position until you have them where you want them. I know this can sometimes be challenging, so just do the best you can. My tank is very small with hardly any places to put coral so I know how hard it is to aclimate corals. You can also raise and lower the output of your light to help with aclimation, the other corals will be fine with reduced lighting.

Mr. Bill and Corailline like this.