New to this

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by BAD_Habit, Nov 1, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

I would definitely find a local fish store and forget Wal-mart. Wal-mart is like the fish grave yard. Find a local store and try not to go to a chain store.

Now as for fish. If I were you I wouldn't get a fish that gets more than 1 1/2- 2 inches in length. There fore if your going to go Tetra don't get Congos, Diamonds, or Red Eyes. White Clouds, Bleeding Heart, Neon, Head and Taillight, or Lemon. You may also want to look into Livebearers and small Danios. A few other Tetras that you should stear clear of are Emperors, Rummynose, and Cardinal. The reason Cardinals are on my list is because they like warmer temps as well as soft acidic water. As for a catfish you should pick up 2 green Corydoras or Panda Corydoras and for the pleco get something like a Clown Pleco or Zebra. These two plecos ore dwarf Plecos and they stay rather small. If the algae doesn't get real bad just pick up a few Otociclus. That's all I can think to tell you rite now. If you have any other ?'s put them up. Also run a Google search on any fish that I posted about to get info on individual species.

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

See...Reefman likes tetras too!!! :p :p :p ;D

Great additional info!!! some stuff I did not know in there.....better go check on my cardinal's water hardness now....

4. BAD_Habit

BAD_Habit Plankton

Right where I wanna be!!, SC,South_Carolina
    Hello again .....

Thank you so much all that posted.....

well i went to petsmart today and I friggin drooled at the aquatic stuff...lol
    Spent an hour in there in amazement.....last time i went there they didn't have half the stuff they have now for aquariums.

And yes there will definitely be some tetra's in my tank...perfect size fish...for a 10 gallon.

But I took your advise reefman and picked up a kit that tests all four you stated...
    Here is my results..

PH = 6.6
    Ammonia 0.50
    Nitrite = 0
    Nitrate = 5.0

also I want to let you know the water change must have done the trick the tank is crystal clear again and has been for 2 days now....

Ive seen a 75 gallon with a stand that i will be getting in a couple weeks..... I'm so excited.....

will keep in touch..

Carl

5. reefman_MC

A pH of 6.6 would be good for Cardinal Tetras. I would suggest you get a General Hardness test kit. If it reads below 3 degrees your water is ideal for Cardinals. Have you thought any about your 75 critters?

6. BAD_Habit

BAD_Habit Plankton

I'll have to check that out...is that for the hardness of the water?..

I have well water , My well is 220 feet deep and doesn't require any softener system , its practically crystal clear right outta the tap.... Not to mention the area I live in has lots of underground springs.... some of which form the North Edisto river..

I cant remember the names (should have wrote them down ) But I will tell you this i want to stick with Community Fish.

:)

7. reefman_MC

Yes it's for the General Hardness not Carbonate Hardness. If you have trouble maintaining your pH level you may want to pick up a Carbonate Hardness test kit. My water comes from a deep well as well. I think mine is just a tad deeper than yours. My water runs through limestone before it comes out of the tap therefore my water straight out of the sink comes out at pH8.2 DKH(Degrees Karbonate Hardness)21 DGH(Degrees General Hardness) 3. I have to mess with pH and KH alot before it goes into my tank. The pH has to be brought down to 6.4 and the KH has to be brought down to 1 before I can add water back to the tank during a water change. I do daily 10 gallon water changes. Enough about me. Are you saying you want to do a community 75 gallon?

8. Click Here!

9. BAD_Habit

BAD_Habit Plankton

[quote author=reefman_MC link=board=Freshwater;num=1099348033;start=15#15 date=11/05/04 at 19:20:24] Enough about me. Are you saying you want to do a community 75 gallon?[/quote]

Yes as a matter of fact I Picked the tank , stand, undergravel filter , heater ,hanging filter, gravel, and 2 powerheads up lastnight.

I built the stand and set the tank on it and constructed the lids , was up till about 2am ....wife was laughing at me this morning when she woke up to go to work (5am) There i was passed out after feeding the fish I bought lastnight for the 10 gallon..... (3 neon tetra's and a pleco .....)

My son has just woke up (6:30 am) and I need to go take care of him as well as feed our Horses ...Ill post pictures of the tank real soon....

Carl

10. BAD_Habit

BAD_Habit Plankton

11. BAD_Habit

BAD_Habit Plankton

Did I lose ya'll?  :eek:

Another qeustion..  
    What should I be feeding my Tetra's (Neon) ?
    They don't seem to be eatin much if any of what im giving them which is tropical flake food .

Also Ive done some preliminary tests on this 75 gallon and the numbers are really good..... is it normal for the water to be this good this early?.....

Ph 6.6
    ammonia 0
    nitrite 0
    nitrate 5.0

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Very Nice New Tank!!!

I just feed my tetra's flake food. They seem to like it. I do tend to break it small for them, tiny mouths. ;D